20200716_092932.jpg

I always wonder ...

How much gasoline do you need to sell in order to justify retaining a lot in downtown Toronto for something like a Petro-Can, as opposed to selling it to a developer? I know we've seen gas stations slowly disappear over the years. And what does a future downtown Toronto gas station ultimately look like once the city is fully developed with limited space.

I always wonder ...

How much gasoline do you need to sell in order to justify retaining a lot in downtown Toronto for something like a Petro-Can, as opposed to selling it to a developer? I know we've seen gas stations slowly disappear over the years. And what does a future downtown Toronto gas station ultimately look like once the city is fully developed with limited space.
I don't think there's a single gas station south of 23rd in Manhattan, and that's a big area. Granted they also have a million subway lines that make the lack of gas stations less of a problem

I always wonder ...

There are 2 in that intersection. One on the way to the Spadina entrance to the Gardiner Express and one on the way as you exit. Lots of people going on road trips or taking far trip go there to fuel up before getting on the HWY. I don't know if those lots are big enough for any development, maybe they are, or need to assemble more land around

Last edited:
We could also find alternatives to full site gas stations. There are plenty of buildings in Japan that include 2-4 gas pumps that hang from the underside of the building.

In general, I think you will see these stations start to disappear in the next 10-15 years as electric vehicles become more ubiquitous.

We could also find alternatives to full site gas stations. There are plenty of buildings in Japan that include 2-4 gas pumps that hang from the underside of the building.

In general, I think you will see these stations start to disappear in the next 10-15 years as electric vehicles become more ubiquitous.

Absolutely. I don't think we should give much thought to the fate of gas stations.

I'm not an expert, but I'd assume there are building code implications on housing underground fuel storage tanks directly underneath a high rise building.

A solution totally exists, but land is just not in demand that much in Toronto yet.

It'll definitely be interesting to watch in future years.
I remember walking around Paris and seeing some almost built into the side of buildings with just enough room to drive 1-2 cars through.
It was very efficient in terms of space, but was wondering how fumes would be handled when I saw it.

@DavidCapizzano — your last photo begs the question "How easy is it to fix the smashed veneers? I assume that they'll be chipped out fully, then there'll be a new cement bond with a new veneer applied over top… but how long lasting will those fixes be?

I have definitely seen other projects send a few workers over on a hoist to chip out and replace broken veneers but it's usually not done until much later on. I don't really know much about the life cycle or repairs needed for brick veneer panels as a whole though - my guess is the odd popped brick tile is likely over time but I can't imagine they're that tough to replace.

Back