In this particular case I agree. Most of those business were no big loss. I did like that Thai place with the wall cut outs that changed colour. But that's about it.
Although in general I am concerned about Yonge street becoming too sterile. I don't really think that will happen though.

If this does happen and continues to happen in the towers to come, it will destroy Yonge Street as a retail destination. It's not a great shopping street as it is but that will make it much worse.

It's already dead as a retail destination by and large. Like when is the last time you have buy something that you can't buy anywhere else (erotica and related paraphernalia excepted).

AoD

The best board games store in the city is on Yonge not too far south of Wellesley. Maybe there are some other niche stores that I don't frequent, I'm not sure, but despite Yonge not being Toronto's chief retail destination anymore, the street is not quite a dead zone for retail.

The best board games store in the city is on Yonge not too far south of Wellesley. Maybe there are some other niche stores that I don't frequent, I'm not sure, but despite Yonge not being Toronto's chief retail destination anymore, the street is not quite a dead zone for retail.

Oh yes 401 Games, which just moved up from Gerrard to the current location, which ironically is a rebuild of sorts and facilitating a rebuild of the original site.

AoD

Last edited:
Taken today; already an improvement:
IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,543
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,554
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,527
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,620
Random Toronto franchise history tidbit: that Panzerotto Pizza at the southwest corner of this plaza was their very first location, established way back in 1976 by Alex Schiavone, a gourmet chef trained back in Italy in the 50's.

Also: a Yelp reviewer who claims that after she was attacked on the street by a random man, she ran into that shop for safety, but none of the employees believed her story or called 911 for her, even with the random man banging on the windows and screaming at her from the outside :(

Should we be concerned no shoring appears to be underway here? Surely they aren't planning a temporary surface lot...right?

Back