So was this the big reveal? The secret aA design that was supposedly going to be vastly superior to the massing study boxes?

I am a little surprised that they shortened the north tower by so much but then again, that means good views for many north-facing south tower units.

I also find it interesting that new retail spots are opening in the existing buildings given it is shortly to be torn down.

From the PDF posted above:

UTjmfKs.jpg

Agreed. That said, it does leave the argument of unspecified density being a necessity for economic viability for various projects around the city in a bit of a bind - if a project can survive a downsizing of this magnitude and remain economically worthwhile to pursue, then what is the justification for the significantly higher densities originally requested?

AoD

Agreed. That said, it does leave the argument of unspecified density being a necessity for economic viability for various projects around the city in a bit of a bind - if a project can survive a downsizing of this magnitude and remain economically worthwhile to pursue, then what is the justification for the significantly higher densities originally requested?

AoD

Despite the downsizing, is this not still a relatively high density? Two towers, the second of which being 50+ storeys is still a very large project.

This is far too sterile and corporate looking for Yonge St--looks more suited for the CBD or upper Bay. The intention of any new developments on Yonge should be to add to the street vitality, not suck it away like this soulless monster.

This is far too sterile and corporate looking for Yonge St--looks more suited for the CBD or upper Bay. The intention of any new developments on Yonge should be to add to the street vitality, not suck it away like this soulless monster.

totally agree

Unfortunately this is only the first foray into the north part of downtown Yonge with several others yet to come. As for this project surviving a downsizing and still being profitable, remember that this will have above ground parking which is considerably less expensive than 4 or 5 levels of below ground parking. It's still going to be a really tricky (and time consuming) site building over the subway line.

So was this the big reveal? The secret aA design that was supposedly going to be vastly superior to the massing study boxes?

Obviously this is still just a massing study. /sarcasm

Oh how I remember the condesention like it was just yesterday. We, the unwashed masses, couldn't wrap our heads around the fact that those drawings were just place holders for towers of unmatched architectural quality. Us laymen simly didn't understand, and we should all just shut up already.

Unfortunately this is only the first foray into the north part of downtown Yonge with several others yet to come. As for this project surviving a downsizing and still being profitable, remember that this will have above ground parking which is considerably less expensive than 4 or 5 levels of below ground parking. It's still going to be a really tricky (and time consuming) site building over the subway line.

what you are trying to communicate, DT....your last two sentences are contradictory. the above grade parking makes it more profitable....but the construction over the subway makes it less profitable...

what you are trying to communicate, DT....your last two sentences are contradictory. the above grade parking makes it more profitable....but the construction over the subway makes it less profitable...

I don't see a contradiction anywhere, perhaps I'm not seeing it. In the last sentence I'm just suggesting that it's tricky building over an active subway line and coordinating through red tape with the TTC. It was a considerable delay with Milan condos and that was just along side the TTC subway tracks.

true, but if they could have some quality retail at the base that actually opens to the streets with inviting settings, that could changes things. How bulky the towers are really doesn't matter that much.

I just cross my fingers that they won't have a major bank branch on the ground floor.

Back