Wow, those are great pics. I do wonder what they do with all the snow build up when they need to pour concrete.

wheres that water comming from and will it start flowing again when the thaw happens? like once they get past those levels that cover it will the water not seep behind it later on and build up?
i supose im asking if this is like a natural drainage spring that heads for the lake. makes me think of sinkk holes and how they start. has one ever been reported around the world to have taken place under a skyscraper?
and if so how would they solve that.

I think because this area used to be part of the lake, the ground is pretty much always saturated at this depth. I'm sure they have compensated for this in the building design.

what kind of caisson walls are going to be used to make the below grade floors safe?

I am sure they are waterproof, but how strong are they? how much resistance can they handle in case of huge water pressure?

This is a 65 story building

wheres that water comming from and will it start flowing again when the thaw happens? like once they get past those levels that cover it will the water not seep behind it later on and build up?
i supose im asking if this is like a natural drainage spring that heads for the lake. makes me think of sinkk holes and how they start. has one ever been reported around the world to have taken place under a skyscraper?
and if so how would they solve that.

I was pondering these questions as well.. The building is anchored deeply within solid bedrock so there is no danger of a sinkhole forming or of the building toppling. The water is constantly being pumped out of the site during the construction phase. Once the walls are poured and water-proofed, and have surpassed the level of water seepage, the water table will be forced to flow around the building. In some cases, drainage channels and/or "weeping" systems are installed to draw water away from the structure. There is often the constant requirement for pumping of excess water, a more complex version of a residential home's sump-pump system. It is generally more strategic to allow some water to enter and have it directed into the buildings sewers than it is to have it collect and build pressure along the buildings foundation.

Last edited:
I believe they are installing material that should be waterproof I am not familiar with.

From Tridel live cam

tenyork.jpg

Attachments

• tenyork.jpg
    tenyork.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,954
Last edited by a moderator:
That last pic really drives home how crazy this development wave has been in Toronto. That tiny lot squashed between a freeway and a parking garage would be a damn hard sell in most cities in north America!

Back