So is that density along Allen going to be predominantly residential or will there be an office component attached? Especially near Sheppard West station.

Build Toronto has made an application to rezone the land? I thought they usually let the developer do that.
Land needs to be rezoned first in order to attract potential buyers?

Allen East District Plan
Virtual Community Meeting
Date: May 12, 2021 - Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m

LINK - https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ict-plan/meetings-events-allen-district-plan/

1619464535051.png

That subway station node at Sheppard and Allen is a great location for new Transit-Oriented Development with strong Affordable-Housing numbers. Hopefully they dedicate some or all of this land into the City's HOUSING NOW program.

1619464587701.png

...the old 2016 numbers for Height & Density don't really make sense any more given that Downsview Airport is CLOSING in 2023 - and Construction-Costs are much higher now.

A 14-storey limit needs to be relaxed, and the Neighbourhood section needs to become Apartment Neighbourhood zoning and density.

ALLEN_DISTRICT_Density_2016.png

They should really include a new school in this development, maybe even in the first phase, just because of how fast nearby neighbourhoods are going to grow... especially if the nearby stretch of Sheppard starts intensifying as well.

By the looks of it, we all missed this! Downloading stuff now...
Note:
Building heights within the Mixed Use area are ultimately limited by the Transport Canada Standards for the North South runway currently operated by Bombardier. These standards set out maximum height limits up to approximately 45m. Should Schedule ‘D’ Airport Hazard Zoning Map be repealed in the future, additional height may be considered in the Apartment Neighbourhood, west of Street A, and the Mixed Use area subject to further study at the time a Zoning By-law Amendment application is submitted. [emphasis mine]
Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.49.56.png

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.50.09.png

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.49.46.png

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 11.49.34.png

Last edited:
  • Firstly, finally this area is being redeveloped - took them long enough!
  • I'd like a little more "apartment neighbourhood" in the "neighbourhood" area, but it does provide a transition to the existing built form to the east
  • 14 storeys max isn't wonderful, but at least they're stating the obvious regarding the removal of the height limits when Downsview gets redeveloped. Would equal more affordable housing, too!
  • TTC needs to get with the program and allow the Sheppard West station to be redeveloped as part of this - I'm glad the plan includes designs for the station area while acknowledging that "TTC hasn't agreed to this"
  • Surprised there's not even a conceptual sketch of what Allen Road / the Allen Road West (Canada Lands) will look like when combined with this proposal.
  • The west side of Allen Road could do with some linear apartment buildings to buffer this area from the noise of Wilson Subway Yard - given that's TTC/City land, shouldn't be an issue to add that, right? Also would help to urbanise Allen Road, too
  • The Wilson Heights Blvd ramps do waste a lot of space, wow! Would make sense to reconfigure the ramps and put the stormwater management pond there instead...

Comparing the 2016 numbers with the above numbers

Mixed Use AreaApartment NeighbourhoodNeighbourhoodTotal
20161,000 units1,300 units450 units2,750 units
20211,323 units1,753 units430 units3,506 units (uplift of 756)

So yeah, a bit of an increase - but the potential for much more if the height limit is removed!

• Firstly, finally this area is being redeveloped - took them long enough!
  • I'd like a little more "apartment neighbourhood" in the "neighbourhood" area, but it does provide a transition to the existing built form to the east
  • 14 storeys max isn't wonderful, but at least they're stating the obvious regarding the removal of the height limits when Downsview gets redeveloped. Would equal more affordable housing, too!
  • TTC needs to get with the program and allow the Sheppard West station to be redeveloped as part of this - I'm glad the plan includes designs for the station area while acknowledging that "TTC hasn't agreed to this"
  • Surprised there's not even a conceptual sketch of what Allen Road / the Allen Road West (Canada Lands) will look like when combined with this proposal.
  • The west side of Allen Road could do with some linear apartment buildings to buffer this area from the noise of Wilson Subway Yard - given that's TTC/City land, shouldn't be an issue to add that, right? Also would help to urbanise Allen Road, too
  • The Wilson Heights Blvd ramps do waste a lot of space, wow! Would make sense to reconfigure the ramps and put the stormwater management pond there instead...

Excellent commentary!

To highlight the issue of the Allen/Wilson Heights Blvd for people, here's an aerial view:

1619522956800.png

I applied an area measure to the north side of this interchange to see what kinda of area one would free up if you regularized the roads/intersections here:

1619523089140.png

That frees up about 3ha (7 acres).

Here's my challenge for the plan though.

If, as we all assume, Downsview shutters as an airport.

It would be insane if Dufferin were not connected straight through.

Assuming that it were, Allen Road north of 401 could no longer exist at all in its current configuration.

It represents the traffic flow of Dufferin today, taking on that name and alignment north of Sheppard.

Wilson Heights also feeds Dufferin to the north.

Much as it would make some people angry, and indicate a large waste of effort and money............

I think this whole plan needs to start over.

Because I think you have to answer the Dufferin/Allen question in order to come up with the correct plan.

If you build Dufferin through, then the alignment of Allen must change; It certainly can't be a pseudo-highway north of 401 at all, and it really needs to disconnect from Allen Road to the south which most of want to see removed anyway (and I firmly believe will be, one day)

I took a screenshot of the site and drew in, in orange the new Dufferin Street alignment (yes, I'm aware I skirted over the n/w edge of Wilson Yard, we could go around or over).

I also showed a new N-S street coming in from Sheppard where there is vacant land and commuter parking today; and extending Wilson Height Blvd, in a straightened fashion to Wilson.

1619524104409.png

I took a screenshot of the site and drew in, in orange the new Dufferin Street alignment (yes, I'm aware I skirted over the n/w edge of Wilson Yard, we could go around or over).

I also showed a new N-S street coming in from Sheppard where there is vacant land and commuter parking today; and extending Wilson Height Blvd, in a straightened fashion to Wilson.

View attachment 315449
You should zoom out and fix sheppard west of Allen as well.

Back