Looks like I was wrong. I thought Concert would work a bit harder to run their first Toronto condo on target. But there is no way they will be moving in people Aug. 2012. I think Spring 2013 is more realistic.

I wonder what is causing the delays since the development has been 100% sold out for almost a year now.

theyre traped in the whole because they dont know why theres a 1/2 story ;)

painfully snail like

For what its worth...according to DCN, subtrades arent yet in place.
I guess that may explain why its at a snails pace

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT, RETAIL & OFFICES.... Proj: 9046545-21
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON ....NEGOTIATED/START

The Berczy, 55 Front St, Church St, the Esplanade, M5E
$25,000,000 est
Start: October, 2011 Complete: March, 2013

Note:
Sub trades will be awarded sequentially through to fall 2011.
www.TheBerczy.com. Provident Energy Management is the LEED Consultant for the project.

Project:
concrete pile foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, masonry exterior, split face CMU exterior, metal roof deck, membrane roofing, fuel fired heating system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, construction of an environmentally friendly 13-storey terraced midrise condominium building with 170 suites. The project will include 12,000 sq ft of retail space at grade level and the reconstruction of a heritage facade at 6 Church St. The project will be certified under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System with a LEED Gold rating.

Scope:....17,000 m²; 13 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 170 units; parking for 168 cars

Development:...New
Category:...Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Commercial offices
http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10...620464c3c949&projectid=9046545&region=ontario

Pics taken Sept 3, 2011

G94sl.jpg

IiasK.jpg

Excavation seems to be taking a long time despite the insertion of dowels quite a while back.

Excavation seems to be taking a long time despite the insertion of dowels quite a while back.

I heard they have to work extremely carefully on south and west sides as the older neighbouting buildings have very shallow foundations and are quite 'fragile". I assume that putting in the tie-backs could affect their foundations too. Even so, it has been slower than I would have expected for a fully-sold building.

How do you think this rule of thumb pertains to The Berczy construction.

1.5 months for each grade level down of digging.

1 month of construction for each floor up.

Are they still digging at a snails pace?

Once again, Einstein's Theory of Relativity as it pertains to condominium building has been proven to be accurate. Essentially it states that while an investor/speculator observes construction *proceeding at an extremely uncomfortable blazing quick speed, to a future resident the progress of construction is crawling along at an agonizing snail's pace.*
Please note: The above theory was first put forward in an article to a now long defunct obscure Vienna monthly builder's trade paper. It was largely ignored and ridiculed based mostly on the fact that there was not a hell of a lot condominium construction going on at the time.
In a remarkable twist of historical irony , what is not generally known is that Ralph Einstein's theory was blatantly plagiarized by his big brother, Albert, who with a few minor modifications to the wording, like throwing in stuff like'light','time' and a plethora of complicated mathematical computations containing a vast amount of 'x's and 'y's to make it look sexy, went on to become famous.*

Does anyone know how the brick recovery went on the demolition part of the 6 Church streeet heritage portion of this project. I had heard those original bricks were to be re used in the preservation of the look for that portion during the build.
Cant think bricks that are that old would survive, be resuable, or have any kind of shelf life.

Word has it that the crane pad footing will be put in tomorrow in the afternoon! Glad to hear some more action happening on the construction site...has been stagnant for too long!

You are correct..pad gets poured this week, and crane will be built starting on the weekend.
Was told..." you dont want to know the issues we have had..."
I am aware there was original pier material uncovered during excavation...bring on the heritage archilogists..tick tick tick..
BUT finally progress..whats the over under on March 2013???

Does anyone know how the brick recovery went on the demolition part of the 6 Church streeet heritage portion of this project. I had heard those original bricks were to be re used in the preservation of the look for that portion during the build.
Cant think bricks that are that old would survive, be resuable, or have any kind of shelf life.

They were very careful knocking this building down and certainly lots of skids of shrink-wrapped bricks were taken off site. Bricks are quite tough and I see no reason why most would not be fine for reuse.

You are correct..pad gets poured this week, and crane will be built starting on the weekend.
Was told..." you dont want to know the issues we have had..."
I am aware there was original pier material uncovered during excavation...bring on the heritage archilogists..tick tick tick..
BUT finally progress..whats the over under on March 2013???

Agree that it's exciting to finally see some progress here after months of nothing much happening! From what I know, the issue was that when digging down and installing those wires (not sure what the term is) on the sides of the hole, the foundation of the existing buildings next to the site were not stable so they had to find a way to stabilize them...or something like that.

Not exactly sure the exact thing that happened but that was the gist of it.

This from a presss release for Polymor
October, 2011
Here is another great example of the quick, clean and cost effective solutions
POLY-MOR Canada Inc.*does provide.

The Issue: A large downtown Toronto development site was in the process of a mass excavation.* Large Slurry walls had been placed around the entire perimeter of the site to protect surrounding buildings during the excavation. Two issues were quickly realized while the excavation was underway. The 1st issue was the base soils in the area were very poor as this exact location was the actual lakefront of Lake Ontario many years ago.* The 2nd issue was one adjacent building – seen in the picture to the left -was exhibiting some movement.* The building itself was over 100 years old and was sinking and the north wall was tipping outwards due to the excavation and poor soils in the area.

The Solution: After site meetings and discussions, POLY-MOR Canada was brought in to quickly and effectively address the poor coils under the building so that the construction process would not be delayed and the poor soils in the area were stabilized.* POLY-MOR Canada employed a state of the art polymer resin to effectively improve soil stability beneath the 100 year old building.* The process involved a series of injections carried out at depth to improve soil bearing capacity and stability. The expanding resins*were incredibly effective in travelling and migrating, filling voids and consolidating weak soils and increasing soil bearing capacity in the treatment area.*
POLY-MOR Canada Inc. worked closely with the General Contracting Company to plan, stage and complete the work in a timely manner. Due to the urgency of the situation POLY-MOR was able to mobilize very quickly and complete the stabilization work in one day, saving time*and money.
This is simply another great example of how POLY-MOR can not only provide amazing solutions, but do so in a manner that is cost effective and timely.
The Power of Polymers 1-866-887-3835 www.Poly-Mor.ca

The location picture which accompanied the release was of the Berczy site.

Back