Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I know its just a concept, but looks like they may be eyeing this location (Silverstein's Bakery) for future development

23 storeys residential + library
179 dwelling units/ Dorothy H Hoover library

Last edited by a moderator:
Dorothy H. Hoover is the OCAD library (just in case anyone is as confused as I was, and wondering why the TPL would open another branch so close to the Sanderson).

Also: OH DEAR GOD NOT SILVERSTEIN'S! The smell of baking bread is the best part of my walk home some days. :p

Doesn't look half bad as a concept, though. I'm at the bottom end of McCaul all the time but it's been years since I've strolled up that particular stretch of it. It kind of makes sense that building development pressures there would dictate some more vertical solutions.

Why can't this sort of development ever simply include the existing use in the new building? Like, a condominium with a bakery at the bottom?

If, for example, the owners wanted to keep the bakery and make money by adding a bunch of units vertically, it seems they could have both, but this never seems to happen.

Why can't this sort of development ever simply include the existing use in the new building? Like, a condominium with a bakery at the bottom?

If, for example, the owners wanted to keep the bakery and make money by adding a bunch of units vertically, it seems they could have both, but this never seems to happen.

It does happen in some cases. Most of the time, when a business relocates to allow for construction, its usually not worth it to move back once construction is complete. It's too much work, especially if the business is doing just fine in the 'temporary' location.

I wonder if any of the hospitals are going to snap it up.

AoD

I hope not. The last thing the area needs is for this to be turned into a parkade or surface parking lot while a hospital bides its time. Murray Street is already brutal for that.

I hope not. The last thing the area needs is for this to be turned into a parkade or surface parking lot while a hospital bides its time. Murray Street is already brutal for that.

Murray Street is for all intents and purposes an internal hospital street - and with the core population rising the way it is, I'd rather see it used for hospital purposes.

AoD

Less room the hospitals have, the quicker those parking garages get redeveloped

Back