With its heavy geometry and extensive use of brown brick panels, I get Crossways vibes.
I get Crossways put through a blender that's motor burned out before the job was done vibes. This building will forever look like it's got temporary patch jobs on it. If you're going to mix masonry with spandrel panelled walls, the spandrel must be of a high enough quality that the viewer isn't left wondering "What happened? Tornado?" It has to look like it was meant to be there, and not that it's a "money ran out" situation. This thing is, unfortunately, awful.

EDIT: regarding the masonry, the fact that there are obvious dye lot mix match misses on the east wall doesn't help at all, either.

I don't think they used real brick veneer here - usually precast brick buildings get a good powerwash towards the end of construction that cleans up the panels and helps even out any irregularities due to construction dirt and dust. I am pretty sure this is a stucco brick system, so I'm not sure what they can realistically do here to help the mismatched panels.

painting_brick_house_gray.jpg

I get Crossways put through a blender that's motor burned out before the job was done vibes. This building will forever look like it's got temporary patch jobs on it. If you're going to mix masonry with spandrel panelled walls, the spandrel must be of a high enough quality that the viewer isn't left wondering "What happened? Tornado?" It has to look like it was meant to be there, and not that it's a "money ran out" situation. This thing is, unfortunately, awful.

EDIT: regarding the masonry, the fact that there are obvious dye lot mix match misses on the east wall doesn't help at all, either.

I don't get how we ended up with such problems. The land wasn't particularly valuable relative to other locations. Where did the money go?

I don't think they used real brick veneer here - usually precast brick buildings get a good powerwash towards the end of construction that cleans up the panels and helps even out any irregularities due to construction dirt and dust. I am pretty sure this is a stucco brick system, so I'm not sure what they can realistically do here to help the mismatched panels.
Real brick.

Great to have more new developments along the west end rail corridor. I used to drive by that dingy old building a lot and wondered if there would ever be redevelopment potential to it. This stretch of Dupont (especially intersection at Lansdowne) has been depressing for so long now. This area should be freshened up by the new life brought by Fuse Condos and the other projects rising around it.
This is a good kind of post - before-after comparisons reporting something much better!

Back