With the size of the property they have to play with. You think they would put two twin skyscrapers on that location !

I think in this case, at least the auditorium portion of the theatre should be restored as a community performance space (especially considering the city's shortfall atm)- since in the case of theatres, the interiors are considered just as, if not more significant as the exterior.

It's unfortunate that they're proposing token facadism here considering that there's a lot of room to work with.

I was in the area last Tuesday and took some shots to serve as "before" pictures:

IMG_20180918_120540.jpg

IMG_20180918_130215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180918_120540.jpg
    IMG_20180918_120540.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_20180918_130215.jpg
    IMG_20180918_130215.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,522
1545712170330.png

I wonder what kind of retail is planned for the underground area.

It would make for a good pharmacy type space. I often wish that developments downtown had that kind of retail set-up, instead of a pharmacy or bank taking up the ground level and deadening the street of vibrancy.

What's the deal with this?

Wedge

Architect: Partisans

Client: Withheld Type: Mixed-use Location: Toronto, Canada Year: 2015 - Status: On going

As Toronto evolves as a city, how are the identities and narratives that comprise its distinct neighbourhoods changing with it? In what ways do design and architecture inform those identities and narratives? How can retail be better integrated into the cultural fabric of our communities? And how can developers play a leading role in pioneering a new kind of residential development that is responsive to community needs and commercial interests?

PARTISANS was retained by Madison Homes to create architectural schemes for a hybrid mid-rise / high-rise mixed use building in the heart of midtown Toronto. We conducted an ethnographic study of the neighbourhood to evolve a vision for the project, a new narrative for the area, and architectural options that responded to the neighbourhood’s retail, social, and cultural context.

More info on Page 32 of Partisans' portfolio PDF: http://www.partisans.com/
Wedge.jpg

Like most of Partisans' work, it's likely a mere fantasy.
That's what I figured. Such a proposal would require the demolition of the Capitol Theatre; which I would like to see preserved. That concept would certainly be a worthy replacement, however. It looks incredible, but too good to be true.

Can’t see Toronto ever getting something “cool” like this ever. It’s just to modern for those who approve such things. They’re sadly limited to what they approve.

Can’t see Toronto ever getting something “cool” like this ever. It’s just to modern for those who approve such things. They’re sadly limited to what they approve.
an active proposal by Quadrangle on Broadview.. It's literally this design, and someone actually wants to build it.

29976-103233.jpeg

much better than the first submission but the massing is still huge. Also, the setbacks should have started 2 levels below because the heritage portion looks like it's being crushed

much better than the first submission but the massing is still huge. Also, the setbacks should have started 2 levels below because the heritage portion looks like it's being crushed
Yep!!!

So the parking lot remains in this iteration also. The first one was terrible, but I assumed we would end up with stacked towns on the back parking lot portion at the end. Maybe phase 1 of 2?

Back