Located at Yonge and Castlefield, The Capitol Residences will feature 147 suites ranging from 535 to 2,165 sq. ft. and pricing starting in the $900's.

Price list isn’t out yet, but should we expect $1682 psf minimum (based on $900,000/535 sq ft)?

I saw the other day they are building out the Showroom for this project on 150 Eglinton Avenue East in the opposite side of La Latina

And here\'s the showroom at 150 Eglinton today.

DSC03618.JPG

Nice to see some flagstone cladding etc. all the way to the top floors of this building. Making this building look rich as seen in the photos box on the very top.

The Yonge and Eglinton area may be getting a new park as North York Community Council has adopted a recommendation to turn land currently used as a pay parking lot into parkland.

On Sept 13, Community Council adopted a motion that recommends that the city’s official plan be amended to allow the land, located at 20 Castlefield Ave., and 565 and 567 Duplex Ave. to be redesignated to “parks and open space.”

The land, located behind the former Capitol Theatre, is currently home to a surface pay-parking lot run by the Toronto Parking Authority and contains 163 pay parking spaces. In June of 2018, the city received an offer from 2500 Yonge Street Limited, owner of adjacent properties including the Capitol Theatre, to purchase 20 Castlefield Avenue and 567 Duplex Avenue and build a 21-storey mixed-use development. The sale of the lands was not approved by city council.

The city received a resubmission of the development application in November 2018. This proposed a 14 storey mixed-use building of 150 residential units and retail along Yonge St and would retain portions of the Capitol Theatre, which is a heritage building. This resubmission proposed a land exchange with the city, where approximately 650 square metres of the parking lot fronting Castlefield Avenue would be acquired by the applicant in exchange for the equivalent land area fronting Duplex Avenue.

In January 2020, the city planning division recommended that city council redesignate the parking authority lands not subject to the exchange to “parks and open space.”

The proposal is receiving mixed reactions from residents groups in the area.

--------
Colle said the plan is to turn the space into what he calls a “music park”, and that it will be dedicated to Joni Mitchell.

“It’s going to have a little tiny sitting area amphitheatre, where people can sit and listen to musical performances. It’s going to have some sculptures and art dedicated to musical instruments,” said Colle, who said there will be community consultation regarding the park in the coming months.

The report is due to be considered by city council on October 1.

What a ridiculous built form. Planning policy in this City is so stupid.
Urban Design department thinks this is ideal built form.

It is so unnecessary. Think of where the elevators have to be located...

What a ridiculous built form. Planning policy in this City is so stupid.
While not without flaws, i don't see the "ridiculousness" of this built form, especially when trying to achieve higher densities while integrating with the existing neighbouring context. The stepbacks allow for more sunlight at street level and provide ample outdoor space for residents. Ultimately, the building is economically feasible enough to acccomomdate the retention of heritage at grade. Not sure what your preferred alternative is. Because a point tower is not it. Neither is retaining the status quo.

The wide massing is my issue but that's just a trade-off for height.

Toronto Parking Authority tried to sell public land in pricey midtown area to condo developer

Nov 22, 2021

The agency that oversees parking in Toronto tried to sell a piece of prime midtown property to a condo developer without city permission — even though staff had identified the land as a good spot for a much-needed neighbourhood park, CBC News has learned.

The land sale agreement involving the Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) would have seen the Green P lot on Castlefield Avenue, a few blocks north of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue, transformed into a block-long condo tower, but councillors found out about the deal in June of 2018 and put a stop to it.

The city solicitor asked council last week to keep the deal a secret. But CBC News pieced together the timeline and the details of the agreement and its aftermath by speaking with the area city councillor and then reviewing legal and real estate records for the property. The city, the TPA and the developer all declined to go on the record for this story.

"It was quite astonishing," Coun. Mike Colle, who represents the neighbourhood, told CBC Toronto. "The TPA obviously did not do something that was kosher. [It was] very disturbing ... I'm glad that we were able to get the park back."

The agreement led to several years of legal wrangling and negotiations. Last week, after three years of efforts behind the scenes and a lawsuit, city council voted to take the city solicitor's advice and keep the details of a settlement it reached with the developer confidential, citing the potential for further litigation over the botched TPA deal.

The TPA doesn't own the land that it manages. Instead, it oversees it on behalf of the city. According to city documents, the TPA didn't have the necessary permission from council when it agreed to sell the land in 2016,

Although the Castlefield sale had not yet been finalized with the developer, Madison Group, the original agreement was still in place in June of 2018, about a month after city staff identified the four-hectare lot as a good spot for a neighbourhood park.

And as far back as 2014, commercial parking lots in the neighbourhood had been identified by city staff as potential new parks.

It wasn't until its June, 2018 meeting that council instructed city staff to try to nix the sale.

That decision led to a lawsuit about two months later by Madison Group against the city for breaking the original agreement.

That lawsuit dragged on for two years, during which the city could have been developing the new Castlefield park, according to Colle, who has championed that effort.

"The area's being flooded with wall-to-wall condos," Colle said. "We need more green space, parks, desperately."

City staff have written in the past that residents of the Yonge-Eglinton neighbourhood are among the most starved for green space in the city, with fewer than 43 hectares — or less than half a football field — of parkland per 1,000 people.

The lawsuit was finally settled in September of 2020, when the city and Madison agreed to swap parcels of land, each worth about $1 million.

Instead, in the land swap, Madison gets only the easternmost strip of the Green P lot, expanding its footprint for the condo building by about 10 metres. In return, the city gets a 10-metre strip of land along the lot's northern edge.

It's unclear how much money would have changed hands, had the TPA agreement to sell Madison the full lot been finalized, or how much time city legal staff spent fighting the court battle.

Larger image of this rendering view:

46945-140051.jpg

Photos taken January 9th, 2022:

The existing building is still up; but a couple of documenting shots .....

However, fast fence is emerging on the Green P lot.

This first shot is to document something that will disappear, even as the Yonge facade stays.

The fly/screen-stage top.

1641775726351.png

1641775753295.png

1641775768833.png

The fast fence emerging in the Green P:

1641775794272.png

1641775807772.png

All tenants were told to be out by end of year, as I understand it from my RMT, who worked in this building for many years and just left. Apparently interior demo was to start 'first day of 2022', which seems a bit unnecessary.
He told me Madison were being so cheap that they had to fight to get their deposits back on various things like keys/locks and security deposits, even with accompanying paperwork. Oh well, developers gon' develop I guess.

The building was boring on the inside, but I really hope they do a decent job maintaining the old facade. There are a lot of memories here for us old Yonge and Eg kids, including some good film watching, and some great paninis.
I also enjoyed walking out the back doors of this building, on to the second floor fire exits, where, if you were very scared of heights , you should not have been, as you could see through the grates down some 20-30 feet.

All tenants were told to be out by end of year, as I understand it from my RMT, who worked in this building for many years and just left. Apparently interior demo was to start 'first day of 2022', which seems a bit unnecessary.
He told me Madison were being so cheap that they had to fight to get their deposits back on various things like keys/locks and security deposits, even with accompanying paperwork. Oh well, developers gon' develop I guess.

Current Permits:

1641839931983.png

They haven't actually applied for the Demo permit yet.

The building was boring on the inside, but I really hope they do a decent job maintaining the old facade. There are a lot of memories here for us old Yonge and Eg kids, including some good film watching, and some great paninis.
I also enjoyed walking out the back doors of this building, on to the second floor fire exits, where, if you were very scared of heights , you should not have been, as you could see through the grates down some 20-30 feet.

I watched a Star Trek movie marathon there; as well as the superb film 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'.

In respect of the former, I learned very clearly that sitting through 5 films in one day is at least 3 too many.

I also learned that Star Trek 1 is uniquely terrible, no matter how much sympathy you have for the franchise, viewing it should be classified as a form of torture in the form of intense boredom.

Back