Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Gee, is that not the address of that nice eduardian apartment block:eek:

68 CHARLES ST E
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Rezoning application for a mixed use development containing a 52 storey residential apartment building, with retail uses at grade along church street and low rise apartments along Charles Street East. The proposal includes 439 condominium apartments, 20 rental replacement apartment units, and 349 square metres if retail and service commercial uses.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys ---

It is. The block, however, is being retained in its entirety (not torn down and reconstructed).

please enlighten us as to how one goes about constructing a 52-storey tower on a site whilst retaining the block in its entirety.

I took a walk around the site this evening, because there are a large number of fine 2-3 story historic buildings on Charles of which this is the finest.

There does seem to be a substantial area behind for a tower.

It is. The block, however, is being retained in its entirety (not torn down and reconstructed).

Then why the 20 rental replacement apartment units? Possibly converting some of the rental units on the ground floor to retail?

A quick google map look doesn't show much "back yard" for any tower. Although 52 floors with less than 500 units indicates a small floor plate given the average sqft of a Toronto condo. Is it just the Edwardian structure, or does the property include what looks like adjoining old Victorians?

Then why the 20 rental replacement apartment units? Possibly converting some of the rental units on the ground floor to retail?

A quick google map look doesn't show much "back yard" for any tower. Although 52 floors with less than 500 units indicates a small floor plate given the average sqft of a Toronto condo. Is it just the Edwardian structure, or does the property include what looks like adjoining old Victorians?
They can't live there while it's under construction. I'm sure it will not be able to be occupied as it's probably going to be completely restored inside.

Don't see where it would fit. They must be removing some of them.

3FDA8504-F4B8-4FA5-BEA5-86D649F76B5A.jpg

Attachments

• 3FDA8504-F4B8-4FA5-BEA5-86D649F76B5A.jpg
    3FDA8504-F4B8-4FA5-BEA5-86D649F76B5A.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 8,260
There is a sizeable study associated with this development:

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...Files/pdf/6/68 Charles Planning Rationale.pdf

The right-of-first-refusal on replacement rentals does not enable tenants who live in the Manhattan to move back into the original (and fabulous) apartments, but rather, the condo building replacements. They are converting the large and lovely Manhattan units into condo units, so it appears that much of the original building will be retained. I only question the switching of tenants into the new units, stripping these people of the lovely historical location that they currently live in. The study describes the numerous benefits these tenants will enjoy in their new units, including at-code materials and laundry units and more light, but in fact, the current units will be brought up to code anyway.

Last edited:
wow....great find. how did you manage to locate this on the City website, CP? Nice work.

There is a sizeable study associated with this development:

http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toro...Files/pdf/6/68 Charles Planning Rationale.pdf

The right-of-first-refusal on replacement rentals does not enable tenants who live in the Manhattan to move back into the original (and fabulous) apartments, but rather, the condo building replacements. They are converting the large and lovely Manhattan units into condo units, so it appears that much of the original building will be retained. I only question the switching of tenants into the new units, stripping these people of the lovely historical location that they currently live in. The study describes the numerous benefits these tenants will enjoy in their new units, including at-code materials and laundry units and more light, but in fact, the current units will be brought up to code anyway.

wow....great find. how did you manage to locate this on the City website, CP? Nice work.

Google. I find threads in Urban Toronto using Google. Even at work, with access to curated databases, I still have better luck with Google.

Not sure why I didn't take a pic of the whole development sign, but here is an image from it. The tower seems to be placed behind the Charles Street Edwardian apartments and the adjacent heritage building at 634 Church Street, which is also maintained. I also included a shot of the space behind the apartments.

IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2537.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7,331
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7,220

Back