Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new app in the AIC is for the south/west corner of Marlee and Glencairn

It covers 543 Marlee, and 805, 807, 811 and 813 Glencairn.

* does not list 819, but I believe this to be included, as its in the midst of this site)

1633426666799.png

Aerial Pic:

1633426510882.png

Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=OKCVbfpF0ffsesAWkN3zxA==

UT has an existing thread for this site, but not this assembly or proposal.

In 2017, a proposal was made for 9 floors on a smaller assembly:

Last edited:
Good to see this site come back into play, especially being near one of the most under-intensified stations along the Yonge-University subway line. Also nice to see the expanded assembly include some of the bungalows along Glencairn. Some of the newer McMansions could be tough to budge, but anytime low-rise yellow belt housing along the main streets like Marlee and Glencairn in the area get redeveloped is good in my books.

Last edited:
Docs are up:

From the Planning Rationale Report:

Architect is Kirkor

1634056836890.png

1634056920882.png

1634056986896.png

1634057019804.png

From the Arch. Plans:

1634057122196.png

1634057175031.png

1634057272656.png

Commentary: How odd, the building is setback from Marlee, so no retail fronting Marlee directly, and instead, the Park fronts Marlee.

At ~ 5,000ft2 the park is too small to be anything other than a playground, or a very small passive greenspace. I'm not impressed.

This is an important intersection for the neighbourhood, and if the park dedication is onsite, locating it at the corner could work if it were designed to be a mostly hardscaped "public square" type gathering place. I like that at least some retail is retained, and the density and massing seem fine to me.

Not at all hot on the architectural design. The best one can say for Kirkor is that they are trying something new here; it's just a bad something new.

Commentary: How odd, the building is setback from Marlee, so no retail fronting Marlee directly, and instead, the Park fronts Marlee.

At ~ 5,000ft2 the park is too small to be anything other than a playground, or a very small passive greenspace. I'm not impressed.

View attachment 355273
The site plan already has a children's playground area south of the tower, just for building residents, but agreed, the plan needs reworking to bring the retail to Marlee. I'm not against park spaces at street corners where, if correctly planned, the space can be part public square, part green space, so generally, swap the south half of the park area with where the retail is now, and rework the tower above around that.

The site plan already has a children's playground area south of the tower, just for building residents, but agreed, the plan needs reworking to bring the retail to Marlee. I'm not against park spaces at street corners where, if correctly planned, the space can be part public square, part green space, so generally, swap the south half of the park area with where the retail is now, and rework the tower above around that.

I agree with you, assuming that there must be a park on this site.

I have to confess, I'm not sold on adding a tiny little addition here.

The nearest park, also small, is only 150M north, directly on Marlee.

Immediately north of that, is a medium-sized park, but one which doesn't front Marlee (but could), but could also be otherwise enlarged to allow for additional amenities in the park.

Image below:

1634141316521.png

Obviously, the parcels I've circled are far more than cash-in-lieu from this one proposal would fund purchasing.

However, the choice could be made to purchase one home or two and add that land incrementally to the existing parks, or combine this money with other Parks Acquisition funding
to acquire a larger section.

The small, southerly park could be made large enough to hold a decent playground, if desired.

The larger park could be reconfigured to handle any number of additional amenities depending on how much land was added, and where.

Last edited:

Back