Certainly for quite awhile, yes. (Edit to add, the plans below are from February 2020)

I knew I posted it somewhere {took me a moment to figure out where)

1582150985055-png.231872
Great, another you-gotta-go-down-to-go-up plan like the upcoming idiotic transfer at Finch West. The TTC really couldn't care less about its riders. If you want to use the new south exit at Summerhill and you've been riding northbound, you'll have to go down and cross under the subway tunnel before coming back up to platform level, before going up to surface level. If you live or work near this future exit, welcome to a future of way more climbing up and down than would be convenient. Thanks TTC!

Great, another you-gotta-go-down-to-go-up plan like the upcoming idiotic transfer at Finch West. The TTC really couldn't care less about its riders. If you want to use the new south exit at Summerhill and you've been riding northbound, you'll have to go down and cross under the subway tunnel before coming back up to platform level, before going up to surface level. If you live or work near this future exit, welcome to a future of way more climbing up and down than would be convenient. Thanks TTC!

Wouldn't save them some significant overhead is they widened "1 in beige" and added another "2 in purple" stairs to the other end and ditching that underpass nonsense all together instead?

I completely agree on the absurdity...............

Got me to wondering though why that choice was made..........

So I had a look at the plans.........

1638908395152.png

This is the ground floor.

The large visible stairs towards the top/north of the plan, skewed to the right is the stairway down to Summerhill Station.

The dashed lines immediately to the right/east are the TTC Subway Tunnel and Platforms below.

You can see the stair case from the Northbound Platform illustrated on the right hand side of the picture next to the blue pedestrian clearway easement.

IF you draw a straight staircase off the platform, I think you would end up encroaching on the Scrivener sidewalk area.

But I wonder if you couldn't turn the stairs at a right angle on the way up and have them end up within the building and possibly even the existing proposed station area.

Very difficult to ascertain from these drawings.

It looks like the sewer easement may be the greater obstacle. Still, while it's not a full picture of the situation, I wish we had more info to consider regarding whether there might be another way around the problem.

It looks like the sewer easement may be the greater obstacle. Still, while it's not a full picture of the situation, I wish we had more info to consider regarding whether there might be another way around the problem.

In cases like this do developers ever collaborate with Public Works (in this case re-routing sewers) or do they never talk to one another and simply choose to build around what currently exists? Toronto seems to be in the 2nd camp.

The most visible example are City crews who dig up sidewalks and simply patch it up with asphalt instead of having it returned to what it looked like before they showed up. Another example are roads dug up to replace sewers, the road re-surfaced only to have the whole thing dug up a few years later when the City decides to re-do the whole public realm.

It can be exasperating to watch, expensive for tax payers, and leads to bad outcomes when they don't work together. Hard to tell from that diagram but sometimes it makes more sense to re-route existing infrastructure than to build around it. We do this when we renovate houses. City building needs a similar approach.

Last edited:
Photos taken December 26th, 2021:

* note, in a couple of photos you can clearly see the subway cut, (decked over), excavated.

They've gone down on both sides, as that would be necessary to build the new second exits from each platform.

1640565061917.png

1640565085770.png

1640565109762.png

1640565125802.png

1640565139994.png

1640565178480.png

My Dad? But you didn't put that in the multiple choice answer... 😾

...wait, that's not what I was gonna post. Rather, glad this is progressing along!

No new renderings are updated in the database! Some information is changed in the following section below.

The overall building height decreased from 85.34m to 81.65m. The overall storey count still remained at 21 storeys. The total unit count decreased from 141 units to 120 units. Finally, the total parking spaces went from 137 parking spaces to 160 parking spaces.

The changes to the information came from the architectural plan via Site Plan Approval.

Back