Are there any proposals for the fields of grass between the mall carpark and the roads? And for the carpark itself like in and around Square One?
My own regret with these projects is that they aren't particularly walkable neighbourhoods.

Are there any proposals for the fields of grass between the mall carpark and the roads? And for the carpark itself like in and around Square One?
My own regret with these projects is that they aren't particularly walkable neighbourhoods.
Not yet. I assume that will change in coming years, though; every wide-open mall space like that in the GTA will eventually be redeveloped.

On the west side fronting Glen Erin I have seen surveyors and core drilling in recent weeks but I don't know what's planned there.

Jan 7
1673560243082.jpeg
1673560267615.jpeg

Mississauga is currently quite progressive but unfortunately still has to deal with the framework it inherited, such as the highway-sized main roads and previous sprawl over farm-plots. I often wonder if and how Canadian cities can reverse or improve these infrastructure constraints from the era of car dependency. Would this even be accepted by residents?

Mississauga is currently quite progressive but unfortunately still has to deal with the framework it inherited, such as the highway-sized main roads and previous sprawl over farm-plots. I often wonder if and how Canadian cities can reverse or improve these infrastructure constraints from the era of car dependency. Would this even be accepted by residents?
I think it will but probably not in any of our lifetimes; it'll be generational. Part of the issue is these developments are very insular, vertical sprawl in a way. They aren't live/work neighbourhoods, there's limited retail and it's an absolutely hostile environment for pedestrians, which means many people in these condos still need or want cars. And coming back to the generational thing, if you grew up with cars, it's a hard sell to permanently switch to transit; especially in Mississauga where it's wholly inadequate.

It will take our current transit grid 10x over (or more, that's not scientific lol) before pretty much anything outside of the Toronto core can truly operate post-automobile. Self-driving cars and ridesharing type concepts might hasten the demise of individual vehicle ownership, but I believe even those are wayyyy further off than optimists tend to believe (decades at best).

Back