IMG_2883.jpeg
IMG_2884.jpeg
IMG_2885.jpeg

Bloor Side:

IMG_2886.jpeg
IMG_2887.jpeg
IMG_2888.jpeg
IMG_2889.jpeg

I hadn't realized this before, but at the top of each suspended mega-section (at the mechanical floor slab),
there are projecting corners created by the beveled cornice that appears nowhere else on the facade.
None of the hanger cladding panels project past the curtain wall at the tip of the corners.
You're right. I didn't notice that before either. Good catch!

I hadn't realized this before, but at the top of each suspended mega-section (at the mechanical floor slab),
there are projecting corners created by the beveled cornice that appears nowhere else on the facade.
None of the hanger cladding panels project past the curtain wall at the tip of the corners.
Good catch. I think this is due to the fact that for the other sections, the horizontal pieces are attached to the angular ones and the resulting mirrored ‘4’ figures are attached flat to each other while here the horizontal pieces are attached to each other resulting in what appears to be a protruding corner.

Last edited:
Photos taken today, Friday (May 24). Still working on the third mechanical levels, floors 57 and 58, so the blue scaffolds on top are about where they were when I last posted a week ago, same goes for the corner blue scaffolds, looks like they are at level 51 which holds the base of the next set of hangers. Once they get past the mechanical level on top, we should see a quick spurt of activity as forms reveal the attachment points for the next set of hangers. Lower down, the black Rail Climbing Systems (RCSs) continue to rise quickly. The east RCS is now installing skin at level 27, as is the north RCS, the RCSs moving up one and two levels respectively since last week. The west RCS is now at level 25.

Starting with my usual "time-lapse" Flickr album addition from the NE corner of Yonge and Bloor, the view from the south where progress is most obvious, cladding now up to floor 27, and three more floors added to the exterior elevator, to level 53. Officedweller's sharp eye for the projected corners at the top of the mega-sections, at the mechanical floor slab, inspired me to capture some views of that. So a bunch of views of the unique projecting corners, at the floor of level 17 on the first mechanical level. One shot includes a bin being hoisted, the same bin being captured by the 2 guys on Yonge Street. More views, from in front of the south and west, the crane hoisting more equipment, and the tower from in front of Holt Renfrew, and an example of the light play, on the south face. Views from Cumberland east of Bay, then from around the NE part of Bloor and Yonge, and a final shot from Bloor at Bedford.

UTIMG_6986.jpg
UTIMG_6844.jpg
UTIMG_6869.jpg
UTIMG_6929.jpg
UTIMG_6930.jpg
UTIMG_6890.jpg
UTIMG_6903.jpg
UTIMG_7195.jpg
UTIMG_7096.jpg
UTIMG_7159.jpg
UTIMG_7066.jpg
UTIMG_7000.jpg
UTIMG_6950.jpg
UTIMG_7210.jpg

Last edited:
Good catch. I think this is due to the fact that for the other sections, the horizontal pieces are attached to the angular ones and the resulting mirrored ‘4’ figures are attached flat to each other while here the horizontal pieces are attached to each other resulting in what appears to be a protruding corner.
Good catch indeed -- and easy to miss. It's a nice detail -- a classical, even "Vitruvian" reference. If you think of the tower as five shorter, identical towers stacked on top of each other, with the mechanical levels forming the "ground floor" of each of the upper sections, then the protruding corners are part of the finishing "cornice" at the top of each section that define and finish off the top of each section before the next mechanical level.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Well, here in the thread-where-time-stands-still, it really does appear that this thing's barely moved in 2 or 3 months. At this rate it won't top out until next summer (at which point Pinnacle One Yonge will have overtaken it, and CIBC 2 will be ready for its new occupants). And, keep in mind, we're not talking the Sydney Opera Hall, or La Sagrada Famila here--just a slightly fancier than average condo. It's like the project exists in it's own, inexplicable time continuum where things happen 10X slower than normal. I have to admit that it's both vexing and strangely fascinating how this project just keeps going on, seemingly active, yet virtually unchanging. It's become the Waiting for Godot of Toronto builds.

Serious question here: How much longer can the money spigots stay on for this eternal flame of developer incompetence? And when the well does run dry, what happens then? Stop at whatever floor they're on and have the fleeced owners finish the interiors themselves? I dunno, I find this whole fiasco to be an enigma wrapped in mystery.

(OK. I've said to much, I'll show my way out... *ducks for cover*)

Last edited:

Back