It will be interesting to see what the eventual developer has in mind for this prime site. It's inevitable that the current group lacks the experience, expertise, credibility and resources to make it happen and he's obviously struggling through critical issues like access, loading, parking, shadows, etc to eek out a miniscule profit for anyone so misguided to invest in him. The density alone is absolutely insane for this proposal and unprecented.

An experienced and properly capitalized developer who didn't ridiculously overpay for the property would have flexibility in his budget to account for proper design and servicing issues.

So this phantom developer has to be a man?

An excerpt from the above article....."The One" will be tall for Toronto, but at 304 metres it will only be the 12th tallest residential building in the world". <'Only'? Seriously? That seems pretty impressive from a global standpoint.>

Here's a look at how it stacks up against the competition.

1) 432 Park Avenue, New York City: 426 metres

2) Princess Tower, Dubai: 414 metres

3) 23 Marina, Dubai: 393 metres

4) Elite Residence, Dubai: 380 metres

5) The Marina Torch, Dubai: 348 metres

6) Q1, Australia, 323 metres

12) The One, Toronto: 304 metres.

An excerpt from the above article....."The One" will be tall for Toronto, but at 304 metres it will only be the 12th tallest residential building in the world". <'Only'? Seriously? That seems pretty impressive from a global standpoint.>

Considering the minor difference between Q1 and this project, the list is kind of meaningless (besides the fact that most of the supertalls are broadly mixed use anyways).

AoD

We've only spoken at Community Council once before in support of what we generally considered to be a deserving building that was getting a rough ride, (the Massey Tower), and I'm considering making this the second one.

Despite my living in that "horrible looking pre-cast box" I am hoping that this project gets the go ahead. I also hope some sort of solution for the laneway traffic can be found because I'm not that worried about Balmuto St., but the laneway that wraps around the Uptown that is used by the Uptown, Crystal Blu and all the stores on Yonge St. and Bloor St. that back onto the laneway already. Once The One is also using the laneway, it will be a mess. I hope that they will consider using the extra two properties south on Yonge St. that are separate from the main land being used for The One, to make a new laneway to allow traffic in and out. They could easily add a traffic signal there to make it safe for pedestrians on Yonge, of which I am one. Anyhow, as a resident who will be directly affected by the building of The One, I still support it and want it to be built.

Despite my living in that "horrible looking pre-cast box" I am hoping that this project gets the go ahead. I also hope some sort of solution for the laneway traffic can be found because I'm not that worried about Balmuto St., but the laneway that wraps around the Uptown that is used by the Uptown, Crystal Blu and all the stores on Yonge St. and Bloor St. that back onto the laneway already. Once The One is also using the laneway, it will be a mess. I hope that they will consider using the extra two properties south on Yonge St. that are separate from the main land being used for The One, to make a new laneway to allow traffic in and out. They could easily add a traffic signal there to make it safe for pedestrians on Yonge, of which I am one. Anyhow, as a resident who will be directly affected by the building of The One, I still support it and want it to be built.

I can tell you right now that this option is not being considered among the current landowners. It would likely not even be permitted per Transportation and Right of Way Management's longstanding policy of not allowing new curb cuts on primary, pedestrian streets.

If that is the case it will be mayhem in the lane way. I'm not sure how else they can resolve that problem. I'm guessing it won't be solved.

Luckily I walk to work and seldom use the car, but I do worry about safety walking across the lane way as it exits to Balmuto St.

"At 418 units, the development could add hundreds of new residents to the area, prompting concerns about density."
Huh? I really don't see the concern here especially at Y/B.

Agreed, whats the proposed altenative? push people back to the suburbs?

There's two subway lines under this site and a third two blocks west - whats the issue?

^So someone delivering a couch to the address should take the subway?

I'm joking around but my point is that I wonder sometime if there is a general recognition on this forum that buildings actually have service requirements. Stuff in stores doesn't magically appear on the shelf, buildings don't automatically maintain and service themselves, things don't stay in a pristine state of repair, going to work doesn't just mean transporting one person and one small bag from a residence to an office, people move in and out of buildings etc.

Density has logistic implications. Money can solve any of these problems but the denser you go the higher the cost.

Back