Thanks for this AOD !

From the architectural plans (http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/City%20Planning/Community%20Planning/Files/pdf/1/1%20Bloor%20W_Architectural%20Plans.pdf):

• Proposed underground tunnel connection to run east into 1 Bloor East?
The proposal to east has been rejected by Great Gulf, so that proposal has been replaced with one to go northeast under the intersection to the PATH tunnel under Yonge and to the entrance to the Yonge station on the Bloor-Danforth line.

• Retail space spans from P1 to Lv 8, Lv 2 is skipped as ground floor Retail units are double height
Correct. They will each have second floors accessed internally.

• Retail space on Lv 6 with wrap around terrace, suitable for restaurant?
  • Retail space on Lv 8 with connection to gigantic terrace on level above, suitable for restaurant?
Levels 6, 7, and 8 are meant to be restaurants, and yes there will be outdoor terraces.

The proposal to east has been rejected by Great Gulf, so that proposal has been replaced with one to go northeast under the intersection to the PATH tunnel under Yonge and to the entrance to the Yonge station on the Bloor-Danforth line.

How do they build these PATH connections under roadways anyways? For the most part, I don't recall seeing/hearing about closing streets to build them by cut and cover method, I don't believe they tend to be deep enough for sequential excavation.

AoD

Last edited:
The only thing I wish they had planned for is a restaurant/bar on the top. This building has reminded me so much of John Hancock, shouldve gone the full 9 and placed space for a bar with a great view.

How do they build these PATH connections under roadways anyways? For the most part, I don't recall seeing/hearing about closing streets to build them by cut and cover method, I don't believe they tend to be deep enough for sequential excavation.

AoD

My recollection from when they built the Bay Adelaide/Scotia Tunnel was that it was cut and cover, dug in sections, at night, and covered with steel plates during the day. Like any other big hole dug in a street.

My recollection from when they built the Bay Adelaide/Scotia Tunnel was that it was cut and cover, dug in sections, at night, and covered with steel plates during the day. Like any other big hole dug in a street.

Thanks - it's just something that I have never noticed happening.

On another note, according to the Planning & Design Rationale submission, there will be slight shadowing of Jesse Ketchum. Not sure if something to be picked on given how minor it is.

AoD

AoD

Apparently York Street will have to be closed for several months between Bremner Blvd and Lake Shore in the near future to dig the tunnel between Maple Leaf Square and Ãce/16 York. It's been determined that tunnelling won't be possible in that case.

Front Street had to close for the Northwest PATh extension. The Esplanade did not have to close for the relatively small tunnel that was bored between the L Tower and Backstage.

Apparently York Street will have to be closed for several months between Bremner Blvd and Lake Shore in the near future to dig the tunnel between Maple Leaf Square and Ãce/16 York.

This closure will cause tremendous traffic jam in whole downtown. There is some kind of work on the east side, in front of MLSquare, don't know if they are preparing for the tunnel

I watched that Mizrahi interview on BNN and one thing that stood out for me was his answer to the question of surrounding properties: he stated that he is open to other landowners adding to his assembly. I feel that the unresolved aspects of the project - particularly the western portion - would be enhanced by a larger site. It might be too large with the Scotia plot though, who knows.

Back