Apparently York Street will have to be closed for several months between Bremner Blvd and Lake Shore in the near future to dig the tunnel between Maple Leaf Square and Ãce/16 York. It's been determined that tunnelling won't be possible in that case.

Front Street had to close for the Northwest PATh extension. The Esplanade did not have to close for the relatively small tunnel that was bored between the L Tower and Backstage.

Can't they just install a bailey bridge over the excavation?

In Vancouver, Broadway was on girders during Canada Line cut and cover construction.

KICX2549.jpg

http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.ca...:12:00Z&max-results=20&start=64&by-date=false

KICX2221.jpg

http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.ca...:11:00Z&max-results=20&start=68&by-date=false

In Benito's last pic, I still insist that at least a part of the south-east corner should have been left open at One Bloor for a public plaza of some sort, especially with The One being built right up to edge of the street. While extending the podium out that far does allow for more retail space, what it's used for above are essentially just massive terraces with no effect on footprint of the tower. The north side of Bloor does have massive sidewalks, so it isn't 'congested' so to speak, but visually I think it would have been interesting. (Like a Hullmark Centre-esque plaza)
Going back to The One, I actually like the fact that the elevator's extend 10m past the roof fins, it creates a more interesting roofline on the skyline and is consistent with the 2 indented vertical sections in the facade. In a way, it's actually looks like a throwback to the original 1 Bloor design which had fins mimicking that look to a certain extent. It's interesting that none of the models or renders for The One showed this feature; or structural element.
I also get a lot of an Index vibe to this building, just with the crown and the indented facade. Also happens to be a Foster building built in Dubai, similar height too:

the_index_foster051108_1.jpg

Source: http://www.e-architect.co.uk/images/jpgs/dubai/the_index_foster051108_1.jpg

Be neat for that to happen but, how is it sensible? Seems like a very costly endeavour for another owner to acquire the facade and use it on their property.

I really wish they can save the Hue's facade and use it to repair one of the gaps along Yonge.

AoD

The location of the facade is important too. People should understand that the 19th century main street built form extended to Bloor and beyond in order to appreciate how developed the city was at that point in time. I wouldn't move facades around to create concentrated museum-like blocks unless there was no other preservation option.

The location of the facade is important too. People should understand that the 19th century main street built form extended to Bloor and beyond in order to appreciate how developed the city was at that point in time. I wouldn't move facades around to create concentrated museum-like blocks unless there was no other preservation option.

Agreed - but in this instance we could very well be looking at total loss, given the particulars of the proposed project.

maestro:

No doubt it is not cheap, nor necessarily practical but given the planning "ask" I think it's fair to demand more than the average.

AoD

Agreed - but in this instance we could very well be looking at total loss, given the particulars of the proposed project.

maestro:

No doubt it is not cheap, nor necessarily practical but given the planning "ask" I think it's fair to demand more than the average.

AoD

The brunt of the costs would fall on the owners of the relocated property. Mizrahi's group would likely profit from it.

The ask should be to preserve the facade/building on the current site. Maybe beside the Uptown. The podium along Yonge can be adjusted.

Shouldn't be too much longer...

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.13 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,783
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 10.21.57 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,788

Back