I live at Bloor and Brunswick, so seeing that constellation of awesomeness to the east when I hit Bloor st. will be mighty awesome.

The redesign is very east Asian, it would fit in perfectly in Hong Kong. I'm looking forward to seeing the redesigned podium as I think that could make or break the project.

I like it mainly because it will stick out in a sea of boring blue/green buildings in the city.

Dont forget the sea of concrete ones to. This is very asian and so welcomed by... most. It isnt boring at all still has those frames or trusses. and still has its hieght. personally ill take this redesign over anything. Almost every project thats been redisigned has turned. out to be a dud. or missed opportunity.

Dont forget the sea of concrete ones to. This is very asian and so welcomed by... most. It isnt boring at all still has those frames or trusses. and still has its hieght. personally ill take this redesign over anything. Almost every project thats been redisigned has turned. out to be a dud. or missed opportunity.

It looks like something you would not see in Toronto. Looks like an international building IMO.

Something "Hong Kong" in Toronto would be great. Good to see something different in Toronto.

I agree, Edward. I would like to see the developer and architect push it to the max, Hong Kong style, here. This new version is about 80% there. Pining for some decor atop - for example the exoskeleton could continue up empty for perhaps three segments, filled only with cross bracing, dramatically lit at night, of course. Gawd i'd love to see this building set at an angle, too, but I don't know if that would work on the small site.

All the same, this development could set the tone for future developments. A brilliant architect.

I agree, Edward. I would like to see the developer and architect push it to the max, Hong Kong style, here. This new version is about 80% there. Pining for some decor atop - for example the exoskeleton could continue up empty for perhaps three segments, filled only with cross bracing, dramatically lit at night, of course. Gawd i'd love to see this building set at an angle, too, but I don't know if that would work on the small site.

All the same, this development could set the tone for future developments. A brilliant architect.

Before we go further - not sure where this "Asian" comment came from - there is nothing particularly so about it - certainly as an aesthetic the HSBC is an exception, not the norm. The typical HK condo tower is even more boring and standardized than our regular designs. Besides, the proposed Comcast tower in Philly (by F+P_ also uses a similar feature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_Innovation_and_Technology_Center

AoD

Last edited:
Pining for some decor atop - for example the exoskeleton could continue up empty for perhaps three segments, filled only with cross bracing, dramatically lit at night, of course. Gawd i'd love to see this building set at an angle, too, but I don't know if that would work on the small site.

+1. Would love to see that. :)

The point is there isnt a building really like it in Torontos skyline. So, It should be welcomed. Though I cant see it being approved. unless this is the changes that they wanted, then it will be approved. the previous render showed it to block out most of the main fronting of one bloor east. thats the thing I didnt like much about it. But this ones alot more slimmer and ornate looking. And again not like anything really in Canada! off topic now that INDX and EY are going up what was the point on reducing the hieght of trump. when now its going to be hidden from all sides. I dont get that. who aside from those at the top will even get any views.

The point is there isnt a building really like it in Torontos skyline. So, It should be welcomed. Though I cant see it being approved. unless this is the changes that they wanted, then it will be approved. the previous render showed it to block out most of the main fronting of one bloor east. thats the thing I didnt like much about it. But this ones alot more slimmer and ornate looking. And again not like anything really in Canada! off topic now that INDX and EY are going up what was the point on reducing the hieght of trump. when now its going to be hidden from all sides. I dont get that. who aside from those at the top will even get any views.

If I recall correctly, Trump was actually approved far higher than it was eventually built. The developer chose to reduce it due to slow sales and lack of interest. No city planning boogeyman for you here...

Really.

Funny. The idea that this is an unusual building for Toronto - I imagine many said the same thing when plans for the CN tower were first unveiled. Or The Royal York, for that matter.

Back