From this morning.

IMG_6587.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6587.JPG
    IMG_6587.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 2,196
What's the timeline on this? The sidewalks are very tight with the narrow scaffolding. The design hasn't even been finished let alone approved and sold. It'll be years of restricting the pedestrian flow at one of the city's busiest intersections. A developer shouldn't be allowed to erect scaffolding unless they're about to begin construction.

Demolition is part of construction, and that's more than started.

Mizrahi wanted to get excavation going ASAP, and while I am sure some timelines have slipped a bit, I expect they will continue to push for its start.

Shoring and excavation is a stretch to call part of the construction process . Clearing the site of existing building definitely is not. Why demolition is taking months to accomplish what can be done in days is beyond me. I guess there is no rush and the city makes its money on the covered sidewalk.

It would also be 'interesting' (to say the least) to shore and excavate the pit for a 300+m building that hasn't yet gone into sales or even has its suite layouts finalized and made public (much less an approved rezoning application).

Shoring and excavation is a stretch to call part of the construction process . Clearing the site of existing building definitely is not. Why demolition is taking months to accomplish what can be done in days is beyond me. I guess there is no rush and the city makes its money on the covered sidewalk.
Really? I would definitely think that shoring and excavation is part of the construction process.. what process is it part of then?

In order to build the new building demolition has to occur... a demolition company/contractor is hired to carry out that job.

Also, I believe one needs permits to demolish a building.. perhaps all of the permits are not through yet?

Demolition is part of construction, and that's more than started.

Mizrahi wanted to get excavation going ASAP, and while I am sure some timelines have slipped a bit, I expect they will continue to push for its start.

I agree with Metroman. The sidewalk hoarding erected at this location was idiotically planned and wastes a lot of sidewalk space.

There are permits needed at every step. Don't know if they have their excavation permits yet, but once they have permits, they can go ahead with that, and once they have their zoning approval and building permits, they can go forward with whichever parts of the development they feel are financially feasible. It would be odd, I agree, to go ahead on something this size, without sales. Mizrahi talks very confidently, and more publicly than most developers.

In regards to what's part of the construction process and what's not, to not consider demolition, clearing the site, and excavation as part of it, is just semantics. Certainly you're not committed to going up yet when you're preparing the way for construction… but that's why we use the word process, and to my mind what leads up to the concrete being poured is part of that.

Have they even applied for site plan approval? They still have a lot to do, my guess is the engineering of such a tall building will dictate much of the design so much is still being figured out.

Demolition work seems to have ceased on the site despite the majority of the buildings still standing. Is there any chance the scaffolding could be brought down prior to construction starting to free up the sidewalk space?

Back