I live in Simcoe County. Near Alliston, ON

I was going to ask earlier... I figured that you either lived north-west of the city or out towards Uxbridge. We might be neighbours! I also live in the area.... We moved up here about 7 years ago and most of our original neighbours who were all seniors or close to it have sold their homes of some 20-30 years and moved back to the city, it's not only the young and new residents but many in their golden years that are returning to the city!!

A local animal vet can often treat many problems with seniors as relate to broken bones, digestion, hearing issues, and minor surgeries. As society has come to provide higher care for pets, it has made vets competitive with MDs in many ways for basic human ailments.

It's not the Middle Ages up here...there is a hospital in Alliston and there are many more within a 30 minute drive, Newmarket, Orangeville and Barrie, never mind the countless walk-in clinics! We're not talking about the Canadian Arctic here....

If anything Stollerys is already a facade. Nobody in that BlogTO article comments section has mentioned that in exchange we would be getting a building designed by one of the world's greatest living architects. Everyone seems hung up on the condos thing, as usual.

If anything Stollerys is already a facade. Nobody in that BlogTO article comments section has mentioned that in exchange we would be getting a building designed by one of the world's greatest living architects. Everyone seems hung up on the condos thing, as usual.

And honestly, it isn't even that great a piece of heritage architecture. Marley roof trim with a bad glass box atop? Really? The whole ensemble belong to a trashbin. Personally, I'd be far more interested in preserving some of the facades along Yonge instead of this misguided piece of work.

AoD

I don't think Clr KWT is necessarily advocating keeping them forever or even facadism. She is advocating keeping them and making the buildings useful as commercial buildings rather than a surface lot in the intermediate future.

I don't think Clr KWT is necessarily advocating keeping them forever or even facadism. She is advocating keeping them and making the buildings useful as commercial buildings rather than a surface lot in the intermediate future.

Yup, that's a correct read, though I am a little bit annoyed by this move, vs. 81 Wellesley Street East.

AoD

Councillor Wong Tam is trying to prevent the demolition of the existing structure at One Bloor:

Haha, KWT doesn't give a hoot about the designation, but more worried that the developers might get away demolishing it without giving back the city a good amount of cash in return:D
Oh well, just another way to add one or two more years to the approval process

Haha, KWT doesn't give a hoot about the designation, but more worried that the developers might get away demolishing it without giving back the city a good amount of cash in return:D
Oh well, just another way to add one or two more years to the approval process

I hope that isn't her thought process. The plan is to construct a $billion tower - spinoffs include jobs, property taxes etc. So why a further shake down?

What basis do you have for that claim? That KWT is just out for cash? I honestly don't believe that she is just doing it to delay the process or for extra s.37 funds. Last spring she led a Jane's walk from Church and Bloor to Church and Gerard, and she seemed to be highly informed about the concepts of good urbanism. She discussed every tower in the neighborhood and critiqued it for its merits or issues. I have a hard time believing that she is the political nimby you make her out to be in your comment.

She specifically talked about how building condos in the city is can be a good thing, but that developers needed to maintain the soul of the city in the process. She isn't opposed to highrises, just towers that supplant good functioning spaces with run on the mill boxes. I'm sure her move here is more to do with maintaining the Yonge street businesses so that in ten years the whole intersection doesn't look like King and Bay.

Back