This thread is absolutely brutal guys. Like is this really worth having such a contentious debate over?

Covid and related developments are obviously relevant to any and all construction sites and threads here. It should not be hard to find the answer as to whether or not above ground permits have been issued for this site yet, that's not hidden information.

Instead of bashing eachother over what ifs just examine the facts. I believe there is substantial evidence that there is not an above ground permit for this site and therefore, mizrahi is violating the emergency measures put in place by Ontario. If this is true there should be no debate, regardless of how much someone wants to see this building built. It is never appropriate to flout the law, but it especially inappropriate to do such in the middle of a global crisis like this one.

The workers are outdoors, in fresh air, young, non-diabetic. Im not concerned if they want to earn a living.

This is extremely negligent and unacceptable thinking. I myself am young and appear healthy (junior level ice hockey player) but I have underlying conditions that most people would not know just from looking at me that make me far more susceptible covid. Many young and apparently healthy workers could be immunocompromised or have some form of autoimmune disease, that they might not even know of themselves. They could be diabetic as well. It's also not just them, many of them have families, some may life with parents, they are out and about in the community near this intersection. It is for more than just the "young and healthly" workers at construction sites that are at risk by places like this staying open.

By that logic schools should stay open cuz most students are young and healthy, as should most businesses.

Personally I am excited for this project and want to see it completed, but at this very moment I'd rather see construction halted out of respect for not just potentially the law but the community at large as we battle the height of this pandemic

This is extremely negligent and unacceptable thinking. I myself am young and appear healthy (junior level ice hockey player) but I have underlying conditions that most people would not know just from looking at me that make me far more susceptible covid. Many young and apparently healthy workers could be immunocompromised or have some form of autoimmune disease, that they might not even know of themselves. They could be diabetic as well. It's also not just them, many of them have families, some may life with parents, they are out and about in the community near this intersection. It is for more than just the "young and healthly" workers at construction sites that are at risk by places like this staying open.

By that logic schools should stay open cuz most students are young and healthy, as should most businesses.

Personally I am excited for this project and want to see it completed, but at this very moment I'd rather see construction halted out of respect for not just potentially the law but the community at large as we battle the height of this pandemic
Exactly, and the workers here are interacting with the local community on the daily basis.

But I would like to add that personal health and well being is great, but this virus doesn't care about that, and will hitch a ride on anyone. Current estimates are that 25% of people are asymptomatic. Even if no one at the site is at any kind of risk of serious health consequences from this virus, my bet is that someone they know, or someone they're interacting in the local community is.

That said, there are other studies, including a recent 3300+ subject one from Stanford—currently under peer review—showing the infection rate as much as 85 times what was previously thought. In some ways, this is good, because it likely means much higher asymptomatic rate, but it also means more carriers running around in the population. More carriers of a disease emptying out long-term care homes at an alarming rate.

This is why sites need to be shut down. They are not self-contained anti-viral zones.

We're letting a bunch of potential Typhoid Marys run around a community, on the selfish premise that a lot of people want this site to avoid a few months of delay.

Exactly, and the workers here are interacting with the local community on the daily basis.

But I would like to add that personal health and well being is great, but this virus doesn't care about that, and will hitch a ride on anyone. Current estimates are that 25% of people are asymptomatic. Even if no one at the site is at any kind of risk of serious health consequences from this virus, my bet is that someone they know, or someone they're interacting in the local community is.

That said, there are other studies, including a recent 3300+ subject one from Stanford—currently under peer review—showing the infection rate as much as 85 times what was previously thought. In some ways, this is good, because it likely means much higher asymptomatic rate, but it also means more carriers running around in the population. More carriers of a disease emptying out long-term care homes at an alarming rate.

This is why sites need to be shut down. They are not self-contained anti-viral zones.

We're letting a bunch of potential Typhoid Marys run around a community, on the selfish premise that a lot of people want this site to avoid a few months of delay.
Gee Relax:eek:, So in other words Covid is everywhere, then why just pic on this development?
why not just close everything down in the city and run for your life and hide, ...Come on please, life must go on

…why not just close everything down in the city and run for your life and hide, ...Come on please, life must go on
Yes, LIFE.

Keeping this spreading by allowing non-essential business to continue means more people will die. Do you not understand that? Do you have zero empathy for other human beings? Is the love of capital more important than human lives? This pandemic has certainly made light of the utter selfishness of some people.

As for "why pick on this development"? In my morning walk, I noticed Teahouse condos @ Yonge & Alexander is still going strong as well. It too should shut down. Does that satisfy your whataboutism?

Life will go on…later.

Yes, LIFE.

Keeping this spreading by allowing non-essential business to continue means more people will die. Do you not understand that? Do you have zero empathy for other human beings? Is the love of capital more important than human lives? This pandemic has certainly made light of the utter selfishness of some people.

As for "why pick on this development"? In my morning walk, I noticed Teahouse condos @ Yonge & Alexander is still going strong as well. It too should shut down. Does that satisfy your whataboutism?

Life will go on…later.

If the city / province is aware that The One is violating the current regulations and they’re not doing anything about it (yet), do you think they will stop construction at other sites (eg. Teahouse) that are NOT breaking the regulation (residential buildings above grade ARE allowed to proceed with construction, provided they take safety measures)? Call Queen’s Park or Doug Ford’s personal number (didn’t he make it public) and tell them to shut down all constructions. Do it 10 times a day if you’re that concerned. Criticizing the decision here will do nothing to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't understand why people are getting their panties all in a bunch about the temporary shutdown of construction sites. Life will eventually return to a semblance of normal, and The One and other towers can start/continue rising in a couple of months. For the time being, nonessential activities need to be proscribed to minimize spread of the virus.

Yeah, I don't understand why people are getting their panties all in a bunch about the temporary shutdown of construction sites. Life will eventually return to a semblance of normal, and The One and other towers can start/continue rising in a couple of months. For the time being, nonessential activities need to be proscribed to minimize spread of the virus.
I see more people on this forum getting their panties all in a bunch (as you put it) over continuing construction than over shutdown of construction sites. Maybe justified for The One, as Mizrahi is defying the provincial order, but the rest are LEGALLY allowed to proceed with construction. Anyone who has a problem with that should blame the province and try to convince them to revoke the exception. Do you think developers operating legally would shut down their sites because UT members are unhappy?

And sorry to be off topic (this thread is about The One after all), but for those who still need to vent about other projects continuing to operate legally, wouldn’t it be better to do so in the COVID 19 thread under ‘General Discussions’?

Do you think developers operating legally would shut down their sites because UT members are unhappy?
No, one would hope they’d do it out of decency, compassion and general morality.
But this crisis is showing the cracks in society that have allowed greed and selfishness to not only thrive, but rule politics and business.
Landlords and developers are a few of the remaining groups allowed to function like nothing’s happened, which is so telling as to what government favours over human lives and well being.

Last edited:

Back