I don't know what draws people to constantly monitor a thread for a project they don't like. What's the point? Many of us are looking forward to this development and appreciate that fact that someone is thinking big when most are afraid to try.

One is competent the other isn't. Just like I pointed out 18 months ago....if this was a stock I would have made a fortune shorting it ...maybe my greatest call.
I'm always confused by people that seem to get giddy at the prospect of a project going sideways ... which there is no reason at this time to think this one is.
Are you not interested in seeing this landmark get built?

One is competent the other isn't. Just like I pointed out 18 months ago....if this was a stock I would have made a fortune shorting it ...maybe my greatest call.
That really isn't a good answer. As both are currently more competent than Cresford. And have better design sense than Canderel. And are less obnoxious than Lamb. But none of these developers are what this thread is about though...so we really shouldn't be bringing them here to wave around. Neither should you with Hines/Ivanhoé Cambridge, IMO.

What was that again? Comparing apples to oranges...

Last edited:
I'm always confused by people that seem to get giddy at the prospect of a project going sideways ... which there is no reason at this time to think this one is.
I suspect not one member of UT, myself included, wouldn't be thrilled to see this 2/3 completed and looking just like the renderings. Of course we would. That however doesn't mean that we have to become apologists for a developer whose performance has been nothing short of brutal.
I won't bother with a list because it's far too long. I also won't be like a Leafs fan who has been making excuses for a crap team for 53 years. Facts are facts. CIBC Square has been one of the most professionally executed projects I've seen lately. There are many others at the moment as well. Regardless of being residential or industrial or commercial or office......competent construction is competent construction. Assuming the design is well done, the 2 most critical performance benchmarks are.... ON TIME....ON BUDGET. This project is neither and the red flags came very early for an experienced person in the business.
I saw this coming early and I remain doubtful that this will be completed as rendered with Mizrahi still sole owner. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

Toronto Model 05-04-20 The One.png

CIBC Square which is 3x this project started at the exact same same time.....enough said.
And Huoshenshan Hospital in China broke ground and finished in the course of a couple of weeks. Does that make CIBC Square a failure then?

Comparing different types of projects with different goals, different construction and different funding methods is a fallacy.

It’s symptomatic of psychological self defence. Many people, through social conditioning, equate enthusiasm with naivety, being unguarded, and thus weakness. They associate pessimism with worldliness and optimism with being a chump. Deep down they long for a positive outcomes as do the rest of us, but to believe in happy endings would show them up as fools, and who wants to be taken for a fool? Ergo, it’s safer to be ”too cool for school”, impressed by nothing, and pessimistic about everything. Then, when it all goes wrong, they can say, “See? I knew it would all go wrong!” And when it all goes right, despite their expectations, they’ll call it a fluke, or assure the rest of us that there’s stuff going on that we just can’t see right now and in time we’ll all see they were right to be pessimistic all along.
Don’t let anyone talk you out of seeing the good in this world!

I don't know what draws people to constantly monitor a thread for a project they don't like. What's the point

In many respects it could have been the centre point of the city and a significant landmark for Toronto. So I suppose many take a solemn and disgraced view of the way things appear to have turned out for this corner.

They moved a small excavator with jackhammer attachment to the northeast side today, might have some action on site tomorrow.

Back