From the ground today.
63173745-C598-4140-BD6B-5C8DFFB4307E.jpeg
B3818602-4B2E-4FDA-9CF4-4737546C580E.jpeg
FECDE47F-1727-420D-8769-3E3F4A4286EF.jpeg

It seems to also be prevalent in multitower complexes too,
but I suppose that causes people to walk longer distances underground to get to a central parking elevator,
then walk to your tower's central core elevators (i.e. Concord Brentwood in Burnaby, BC).

The 2 elevator experience would be a hassle if you're carrying a lot of groceries (Costco run)
or trying to sneak that IKEA purchase up to your suite without booking off the elevators.
It's super annoying with groceries. So what we end up doing is dropping off the groceries at the lobby of the building FIRST and then go park the car but it takes a good 15 minutes (depending on rush hour elevator) to get back to grab your groceries!
Worse if you're by yourself and no partner to delegate!

It's super annoying with groceries. So what we end up doing is dropping off the groceries at the lobby of the building FIRST and then go park the car but it takes a good 15 minutes (depending on rush hour elevator) to get back to grab your groceries!
Worse if you're by yourself and no partner to delegate!
Groceries in apartments are annoying even without a lobby! We would load it all up in the elevator lobby from the car in a few trips, call the elevator, load it all into the elevator, go up to our floor, load it all into the hallway, then carry it into our unit in a few trips. Imagine adding a skylobby to that!

mind you I doubt the people living here are driving halfway across downtown to a discount grocery store and doing a whole weeks worth of groceries before returning.. Most of them probably have their groceries delivered!

Groceries in apartments are annoying even without a lobby! We would load it all up in the elevator lobby from the car in a few trips, call the elevator, load it all into the elevator, go up to our floor, load it all into the hallway, then carry it into our unit in a few trips. Imagine adding a skylobby to that!

mind you I doubt the people living here are driving halfway across downtown to a discount grocery store and doing a whole weeks worth of groceries before returning.. Most of them probably have their groceries delivered!
When I lived at CityPlace, one of the 3 elevator is ALWAYS broken (I'm not joking, it's never worked for the time I lived there)
So at rush hour, it would take 5 mins to go from parking to lobby and then 10-15 mins from lobby to 30th cause the wait is so long, including a line up of people going to the elevator
Then people give you dirty looks cause you have so much groceries taking space in the elevator and less people can get in since there's a line up
Now with Covid restrictions of 3 people max, it's even crazier
Though we don't really have "rush" hour as much

Why not get/use a buggy/mini cart. There are some compact ones and they hold quite a lot.

Great shots Benito (hopefully nobody messes with them). Wish some construction savvy forum member would explain the 45 degree angled thing popping out of the super-columns. Is it a lower floors/podium thing?
I believe the 45-degree angles are for distributing weight to the super columns from the interior supporting walls of the upper floors. The load-bearing system in this building is what I can describe as a tic-tac-toe shape with 8 outer super columns connected in the interior with load-bearing walls. This creates wide-open spaces without any load-bearing elements to give a lot of freedom on the floorplans for the building. Also, the 45-degree column allows for the retail anchor tenant to have full use of their floor space as they only have to contend with the 8 super columns. I might've used incorrect terms, though, so if anyone knows better please correct me.
1599686207355.png

Basically right! Remember this tower has no traditional load-bearing core that goes all the way to the foundation - the load is distributed to the perimeter supercolumns to enable to open ground floor. Section from the Architectural Plans dated April 2, 2020

1599688207848.png

(Mizrahi/F+P)

AoD

Last edited:

I was also expecting a comment that anyone bringing IKEA furniture into The One would be kicked out!

I recently got my Ikea desk and it was a 40 kg pain to carry even when I have direct elevator from parking to my floor. I can't imagine someone carrying that beast through multiple elevators.

Back