did this come in off a freighter? i was on Lake Ontario on Canada day off of Wards and saw a freighter coming west bound in the distance. it had very peculiar looking cargo that i couldn't figure out...sort of like this.

Matt Elliott, has dropped the paywall on his City Hall Watcher and Lobbyist Watch for this week's issue.

Therein, he note's that Sam has some lobbyists hard at work pushing the height increase for this development.

I don't want to give away all his content (even if it is free this week).........but it's worth seeing who was lobbied..........

To peruse this issue (which I highly recommend)......follow this link: https://graphicmatt.substack.com/p/chw130

If you enjoy it enough, consider a subscription!

OT - but my understanding is that it was a type of laminated glass used.

AoD
The side windows in a car are tempered, but never laminated. Laminated glass won't shatter into pieces, the laminate will hold it (mostly) together. You dont want the side windows laminated because then EMS wouldn't be able to break you out in an emergency.

The windshield, however, is always laminated, by the same logic (you don't want the windshield to blow in at 120km/h if you happen to pick up a piece of gravel).

The side windows in a car are tempered, but never laminated. Laminated glass won't shatter into pieces, the laminate will hold it (mostly) together. You dont want the side windows laminated because then EMS wouldn't be able to break you out in an emergency.

The windshield, however, is always laminated, by the same logic (you don't want the windshield to blow in at 120km/h if you happen to pick up a piece of gravel).

That maybe, but I think Tesla was using some form of laminated glass in their Cybertruck side window as well - it got dented (with the characteristic concentric crack pattern) but not shattered.

AoD

That maybe, but I think Tesla was using some form of laminated glass in their Cybertruck side window as well - it got dented (with the characteristic concentric crack pattern) but not shattered.

AoD
Maybe for the demonstration? Though it broke when he threw a ball bearing at it, no?

I guess I understand for some small segment of the population "bullet proof glass" sounds like a cool selling feature, but myself, I'd rather have a backup means of egress if I got t-boned. I figure I'm more likely to die in a crash than a gunfight, but maybe that's just me.

I wonder if the heavy laminated glass here is partly structural. A sheet of glass that big would be subject to tremendous wind loads. The laminate would help to stiffen it up, especially in absence of a frame. If that were a curtainwall frame it'd have something like a 4" wide piece of half-inch plate steel running up the inside of the mullion as a stiffener

Strength - and resistance to shattering.

AoD
Just to add to that theme very thick high quality glass is difficult to manufacture as is must to cooled super slow to avoid temperature gradients else cracking. Its also more prone to shattering if exposed to different temperatures during use such as partial sun/shade exposure. Laminated is the way to go.

Two sections of glass installed.
DD4B8327-9BB9-4E7B-A6C9-7F4FF9769B6E.jpeg
E44CD716-A09C-4478-9A35-E9CB9FB508B1.jpeg

I wonder if those clips are permanent/part of the mounting hardware or if they will be removed. If this is Apple (sorry) it's definitely a different design decision than their other stores (except for the freestanding glass structures like 5th avenue cube).

Here's the glass manufacturers site showing how this glass is usually mounted: Seele
And another example of glass without mounting hardware: Dezeen

I wonder if those clips are permanent/part of the mounting hardware or if they will be removed. If this is Apple (sorry) it's definitely a different design decision than their other stores (except for the freestanding glass structures like 5th avenue cube).

Here's the glass manufacturers site showing how this glass is usually mounted: Seele
And another example of glass without mounting hardware: Dezeen
Those are temporary clips.

Back