penlasdle

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really hope not, I remember a couple years back they previewed exterior materials and it looked like high quality glass.
39271-130466.jpg

Source: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/10/exclusive-preview-one’s-exterior-finishes

PS: Is there an easy way to search for all the pictures posted in a thread that allows me to link to the original post?

Last edited:

fanoftoronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not worried about it. Window wall systems only work to a certain height which this project far exceeds. So unless Sam is going to pull an Aura and split it into window wall and curtain wall sections (doubtful), I wouldn't put too much stock in the cladding in those renders.
Interesting! Do you happen to know what the height limits would be for window wall? The first hangar section has double height 6m ceilings, but as we get to the hotel rooms and condo section, the height reduces to 3m per floor. Would that affect the glazing system being used?

Also, here is a snip from the arch plans for The One:
1627493824101.png

EWS 904 corresponds with "UNITIZED GLAZED CUTAIN WALL SYSTEM"

1627493887525.png

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
So it's more of the hotel youse are wanting?

Have at the latest renderings, courtesy of The Design Agency: porte cochère, lobby lounge, room and pool. We've seen the restaurant and bar so far, and the lobby corroborates how glorious the public spaces will be. Gorgeous room as well - makes the years-long renovation results of the higher-end Park Hyatt look like even more of a lame duck.

Can't wait for this one to open.

khabah

View attachment 337712

Nevermind the window wall - that view is pure fiction (where is the antenna for FCP? How is it that RBC Centre (ex-RBC Dexia/Simcoe Place II) and old Sun Life peeking from what looks like those apartments on the waterfront - as viewed from where this project sits? Did it conveniently forgot that U of T grad slab to the south?

AoD

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
So it's more of the hotel youse are wanting?

Have at the latest renderings, courtesy of The Design Agency: porte cochère, lobby lounge, room and pool. We've seen the restaurant and bar so far, and the lobby corroborates how glorious the public spaces will be. Gorgeous room as well - makes the years-long renovation results of the higher-end Park Hyatt look like even more of a lame duck.

Can't wait for this one to open.

khabah

View attachment 337709
View attachment 337710
View attachment 337711
View attachment 337712

I really hope not, I remember a couple years back they previewed exterior materials and it looked like high quality glass.
View attachment 337741
Source: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/10/exclusive-preview-one’s-exterior-finishes

PS: Is there an easy way to search for all the pictures posted in a thread that allows me to link to the original post?
The spandrel looks like it’s limited to the hotel section. Notice the lack of spandrel on the section over the first hanger:

B0195FE9-6274-4F3F-BFA3-58CD1D281D5F.jpeg

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting! Do you happen to know what the height limits would be for window wall? The first hangar section has double height 6m ceilings, but as we get to the hotel rooms and condo section, the height reduces to 3m per floor. Would that affect the glazing system being used?

I think the point was less about the floor heights and more about the elevation. The higher you go the more severe the wind loads get, and eventually you need something heavier-duty such as a curtain wall. That's why Aura transitions the way that it does.

Though it's also not impossible to use windowwall at higher elevations, it just needs to be engineered accordingly. They called it a hybrid at the time, but for all intents and purposes Ice is windowwall the whole way up (other than the mechanical). The engineering on it was botched horribly, but that windowwall hasn't failed yet.

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hybrid wall is best seen on the east and west facades of King Charlotte. It was going to be a big thing in North America (many architectural firms had started speccing it), but when the Trump Administration decided that crippling Chinese tariffs were the best thing ever, the major supplier backed out of the North American market entirely.

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
If by "major supplier" you mean Jangho they had many, many, many other reasons to get out of here, well before Trump showed up. They were getting hammered as far back as... 2011? 2012? I know by 2013 they were bleeding bad. I think they just finished out their initial batch of jobs and then bailed.