I don't think we've ever seen this kind of activity on this (building) site. A veritable beehive of activity.
monitoring-beehives-bees.jpg
It's all a buzz? 😼

Great article on the area. Doomed!

What a garbage piece, exactly what I’d expect from a rag like the Toronto Star. Of course no mention of the fact that 2 Bloor East will be redeveloped. Same for 2 Bloor West’s podium. Mentions retailers leaving along Bloor (these will be replaced by new tenants). Refers to 1 Bloor East as a monstrosity, I suppose they would have preferred the old buildings?
C46177FF-0D1A-447E-9486-542CAA6543A8.jpeg

What a garbage piece, exactly what I’d expect from a rag like the Toronto Star. Of course no mention of the fact that 2 Bloor East will be redeveloped. Same for 2 Bloor West’s podium. Mentions retailers leaving along Bloor (these will be replaced by new tenants). Refers to 1 Bloor East as a monstrosity, I suppose they would have preferred the old buildings?
View attachment 382479
What do you expect from a news reporter that doesn't know what zoning is?

What do you expect from a news reporter that doesn't know what zoning is?

Heather Mallick is not a reporter, literally.

She's an opinion writer/columnist.

It's not a thoughtful piece, hers rarely are; but we shouldn't cast aspersions on journalists using a writing sample of someone who is not one.

Great article on the area. Doomed!

It's an opinion piece. No more - no less. For any opinion expressing such dystopian outlook, there's another that views the future of the Mizrahi project and the (post-pandemic) Yonge/Bloor area with optimism and, dare I say, cautious excitement.

I will add, in reference to the Mallick piece, its overblown melodrama to one side..........she wasn't completely wrong that 1 Bloor East did not handle its retail/relationship to the street particularly well.

1646078870656.png

The overhang does not work, and the uninterrupted glass at street level is too much; the absence of trees on Yonge is also unfortunate.

Pare back the overhang, extend the grade out just a bit, find a nice material to break up the mass of the podium just a bit.....and it would be improved considerably.

Last edited:
it might be easier for you to just go directly to the source: https://secure.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=WeDvkpX+8RCk+V1DT6idBw==#detail1
click onto the application from 2020, and then from the supporting documents dropdown, download the architectural plans dated Decem 18, 2020!
Thank you, @madknife

Looks like the structure in the columns change on the next floor and I beams only on one side. Then the columns change around the 49th floor getting shallower and again on 62nd, all showing no I beam, so I would assume only rebar interiors.

7th

7th.jpg

8th
8th.jpg

49th

49th.jpg

62nd

62nd.jpg

Looks like the structure in the columns change on the next floor and I beams only on one side. Then the columns change around the 49th floor getting shallower and again on 62nd, all showing no I beam, so I would assume only rebar interiors.
So those koala bear faces will get small and smaller?

Back