To be fair though, since we're not getting any updates in the building progression potentially in the next 6 weeks, lots of "interesting" things are probably going to be discussed here and elsewhere in the meantime. I can only hope they settle their dispute sooner than later where all parties are happy so we can get on with the show. >.<

Year 2050: "Hey, everybody! The new Thread celebrating the completion of The One is finally up! Complete with pictures!" 😄
And by year 2055, a very gaunt looking Frank Gehry will be on hand to put a shiny shovel into the dirt for the Forma ground breaking ceremony...

Not much to see.
E83F7C1B-979F-4210-B164-2BB0F871C4B7.jpeg
DCA231C5-B161-4851-B351-95D0BE18281E.jpeg
3B0E84DF-9CFF-494A-AA91-2C5D8BAE5CFA.jpeg
26250A9A-AE8D-46BC-9D5D-D4BBDA89656C.jpeg
88304BDC-7760-4F15-9C4F-9FA321AD8924.jpeg
673E9AE9-EB19-4F38-AE7F-35E7A732F2DA.jpeg
DB875F23-2790-4168-9254-9FBD3E6C91BD.jpeg
E8584239-2938-456F-8E41-520DC74BE4DB.jpeg

To be frank, I'm not overly sympathetic to the union here. I get the arguments about cost of living, but this applies to every single worker. Not to mention that demand for construction labour was and still is bursting at the seams during the last few years. Meanwhile, so many of the rest of us lost our jobs through no fault of our own and had to survive on CERB cheques. Some perspective, please.

And then you have the unions acting like cartels by restricting new hiring in order to push wages higher. Which in turn forces companies to raise prices and contributes to cost of living increases for the very same union members!

i think some of this might be misdirected anger. Of course this applies to every single worker. Not every worker is in a union though that can go to bat for them. Other people that aren't unionized can try to find new work if they choose or make a case to their employer for a wage increase. The union here is fighting for wages for cost of living. Cost of living has gone way up. Just because they can fight for it and others can't you think they shouldn't?

i think some of this might be misdirected anger. Of course this applies to every single worker. Not every worker is in a union though that can go to bat for them. Other people that aren't unionized can try to find new work if they choose or make a case to their employer for a wage increase. The union here is fighting for wages for cost of living. Cost of living has gone way up. Just because they can fight for it and others can't you think they shouldn't?

I'm not angry. I do have major issues with the way unions operate (there's plenty of corruption, overly progressive politics and so forth). But I appreciate the protections they provide for their members. I wish more employees had this, particularly at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.

Hell, I was recently offered a unionized job; I was blown away by the benefits package compared to the zero job security/benefits wage slavery I've been wading through after graduating.

At the same time, we need some perspective here; construction labour is in a relatively privileged position compared to many other workers because there's been such immense demand for trades. It's also a bit sus to be striking for COLA when your employer's practices contribute to the need for said COLA.

And finally, unions are messy. But so is democracy. Thus we should be finding ways collectively to make it less messy, fairer and better. And not trolling to get rid of either instead. Just saying again.

(And finally, as in all that's all I am going to say about this...well until someone procures a thread that is a home to this subject! )

...by the way and moar on topic, anyone else tempted to Shop tumbleweeds onto Mr. Benito's latest contribution here? >.<

Last edited:
I'm not angry. I do have major issues with the way unions operate (there's plenty of corruption, overly progressive politics and so forth). But I appreciate the protections they provide for their members. I wish more employees had this, particularly at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.

Hell, I was recently offered a unionized job; I was blown away by the benefits package compared to the zero job security/benefits wage slavery I've been wading through after graduating.

At the same time, we need some perspective here; construction labour is in a relatively privileged position compared to many other workers because there's been such immense demand for trades. It's also a bit sus to be striking for COLA when your employer's practices contribute to the need for said COLA.

I understand your anger but it's incredibly misguided. Corporations have been shafting us for decades with little or no pay raises, taking benefits away, busting unions, destroying jobs with constant mergers, abolishing pensions. The rich have gotten much much richer, everyone else poorer. Unions are absolutely necessary now to restore balance in the world economy and give workers decent wages and benefits.

I understand your anger but it's incredibly misguided. Corporations have been shafting us for decades with little or no pay raises, taking benefits away, busting unions, destroying jobs with constant mergers, abolishing pensions. The rich have gotten much much richer, everyone else poorer. Unions are absolutely necessary now to restore balance in the world economy and give workers decent wages and benefits.
I'm not angry, I swear! :mad:

Kidding aside, none of that invalidates my argument. It just doesn't really address it. I acknowledged the benefits of unions and I'm starting my new union gig soon.

Any social institution when it gets too big is bad for our economic and societal well-being; whether it's big gov, big biz or big union, I suppose.

Believe me, I have no love lost for big corporations and the lovey-dovey relationship they have with big gov. But it doesn't mean we can't critique unions because there are severe problems there as well.

And like I said, I'm not overly sympathetic to people striking whose jobs have been in terrific demand these last few years.

I'm not sure if unions are the solution, but I would definitely support big biz (and gov) getting smaller. Too much power is centralized in those two institutions.

Having a greater number of small and mid sized companies might help provide more choice for workers as companies find it harder to monopolize markets. Something like Germany's Mittelstand might work.

Maybe we can start a separate thread about this topic?

I always say the 4 Seasons in Toronto are not Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter, but rather: It's Too Hot! It's Too Cold! Under Construction and On Strike! 😄
I consider labour disputes a more of an El Niño/La Niña thing, as it's 3 year cycle that effects those "seasons"...somewhat similar to elections. Where as the others are more of a seasonable thing for sure...so I would suggest cold/flu season being the fourth instead. >.<

It's interesting, for the carpenters strike it clearly says "ICI" sectors... why are single family residential projects getting affected? Anyone with any insight? The sites looked busy today in Richmond Hill when I visited again this morning. It was empty on Monday. But I saw brickwork, deck work, masonry, etc. working today. (single family home subdivision).

I consider labour disputes a more of an El Niño/La Niña thing, as it's 3 year cycle that effects those "seasons"...somewhat similar to elections. Where as the others are more of a seasonable thing for sure...so I would suggest cold/flu season being the fourth instead. >.<
Good thinking. I like that. I do understand with inflation and the world being all topsy-turvy right now that people need to survive and make a decent living. Hopefully, this strike can get settled and we can get back to watching the workers put up our towers again. 😄

Back