If you liked Niven's Ringworld concept, check out the late Scottish author Ian M. Banks - his Culture series novels were strewn with references to smaller (but still megastructural) Orbitals. One of them described an Orbital being deliberately destroyed. It was very poetic. Anyway, off-topic, forgive me.

I'm not going to be entirely fatalistic here either. If there's a chance that said councilor will realize that height here is really a non-issue when it comes to concerns of the common people...and the folks who are pushing this project to be neutered are a degree of clueless affluence that it would be unwise to be too much associated with, then that would be a good reason to give a little here. It's not like Mizrahi is asking this thing to be built to the Moon.
I think a bigger concern here is avoiding setting a precedent for developers to just demand the original height they asked for until they get it, rather than working with what was agreed upon in a settlement with the city. He isn't entitled to build a 94 story building, even if it would be cool (and I do think the 95 story version looks better resolved), especially given he did originally agree to 85 stories. The city doesn't have any obligation to give him more height just so this can be taller than Sky Tower.

Now if he wants to offer some sort of serious compensation to the city in exchange for the height increase then fair enough, that's something they can negotiate and hopefully set a positive precedent. However the initial proposal to rebuild the Bloor-Yonge intersection was an absolute joke (and is something the city is doing anyway as part of the TTC station upgrades). So I don't really blame the city for not being happy with him over this situation.

I think a bigger concern here is avoiding setting a precedent for developers to just demand the original height they asked for until they get it, rather than working with what was agreed upon in a settlement with the city. He isn't entitled to build a 94 story building, even if it would be cool (and I do think the 95 story version looks better resolved), especially given he did originally agree to 85 stories. The city doesn't have any obligation to give him more height just so this can be taller than Sky Tower.

Now if he wants to offer some sort of serious compensation to the city in exchange for the height increase then fair enough, that's something they can negotiate and hopefully set a positive precedent. However the initial proposal to rebuild the Bloor-Yonge intersection was an absolute joke (and is something the city is doing anyway as part of the TTC station upgrades). So I don't really blame the city for not being happy with him over this situation.
Fair enough. However, there was never any question of entitlement here (nor should there be with developers - they should learn their place, IMO). But I am all for them sweetening the deal with The City when it comes to negotiating more height. They should be least open to that.

Working today.
C6879B00-CDB3-4F82-87BE-F0110FF42D80.jpeg
D48B20DF-FFB2-4DC9-8B0D-170EA95205FE.jpeg
E15D6848-9F43-499A-AB71-4632F3C1B18A.jpeg
BB90F693-ED5F-44C7-B2E4-894F90D7322F.jpeg
8043519A-705C-49A6-B456-27790518CB20.jpeg

Fair enough. However, there was never any question of entitlement here (nor should there be with developers - they should learn their place, IMO). But I am all for them sweetening the deal with The City when it comes to negotiating more height. They should be least open to that.
Adding a sweetener is the best thing and a very good approach. The 1 would get their height increase, and the city would receive some benefits for approving that. Everybody wins! 😃

If you liked Niven's Ringworld concept, check out the late Scottish author Ian M. Banks - his Culture series novels were strewn with references to smaller (but still megastructural) Orbitals. One of them described an Orbital being deliberately destroyed. It was very poetic. Anyway, off-topic, forgive me.

OT/ Consider Phlebas - Vavatch orbital. Carry on.

AoD

Where was I when I took that tumble................oh right, here at Yonge and Bloor where this time I managed to stay upright, LOL

This is the first of a few thread updates from today's 8km walk....(20+ updates coming)

DSC07586.JPG

DSC07587.JPG

DSC07588.JPG

And finally, peeking back from Yorkville Avenue"

DSC07608.JPG

Last edited:
Where was I when I took that tumble................oh right, here at Yonge and Bloor where this time I managed to stay upright, LOL

This is the first of a few thread updates from today's 8km walk....(20+ updates coming)

View attachment 403041

View attachment 403040

View attachment 403039

And finally, peeking back from Yorkville Avenue"

View attachment 403042
I enjoy following the “progress” of this building, but my god, tall structures all across North America have poured their pads and topped out in the time this one has reached 9 out of 85 levels…

I think it's how they did their first 9 floors round the supes-columns and iron works likely wasn't design to be built quickly. Plus three big delays (work stoppage, pandemic and strike respectively) hasn't helped matters...

...it is interesting to note and with a degree of irony, that from excavation bottom-out to grade construction seemed to go lightening fast...normally one of the slowest part of the building stage. Nor did they have a large podium to contend with. It's when they where reaching grade their troubles began. /sigh

It looks like they started building some support scaffolding inside the core on the 7th floor. It would be interesting to see what they would do next, work on the elevator shafts/hallways or build up the scaffolding all the way up to the 10th floor to support the forms for the internal walls.

Back