I like it mainly because it will stick out in a sea of boring blue/green buildings in the city.

Dont forget the sea of concrete ones to. This is very asian and so welcomed by... most. It isnt boring at all still has those frames or trusses. and still has its hieght. personally ill take this redesign over anything. Almost every project thats been redisigned has turned. out to be a dud. or missed opportunity.

It looks like something you would not see in Toronto. Looks like an international building IMO.

However perceived in terms of design origins, the element for which I am most excited about this evolving proposal is how this development's contrasting characteristics against the seas of blue-green glass and concrete buildings will beautify their appeal, making them less boring and more valuable even to the harshest of skyscraper critics.

The One is certainly international with regards to how often Canada sees proposals this tall; although, it seems as though Toronto has been making that standard of citybuilding a domestic success.

Exciting times in Toronto. I like this new rendering.

This model needs to be extended past Bloor, but the One looks pretty nice as a bookend to the cityscape:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 1,927
That model is absolutely awesome, I wouldn't be surprised if it replaced the one that was down at City Hall ^. Being extremely up-to-date as well, it even has 385 Yonge and the most-recent 1-7 Yonge design. And for sure, The One definitely will act as a nice bookend to the skyline, and as (i think) Mizrahi put it, it'll really mark Yonge and Bloor geographically from across the city.
It would be really nice if they did include some sort of public space at the top, or somewhere up in the tower. It's roof, being practically the same height as the CN Tower's main viewing platform is definitely something to brag about. And it will definitely have a view that rivals if not surpasses the CN tower; for my money, it surpasses it. Not sure we'll get anything close to that, considering how expensive real-estate gets at those heights.

Not sure I'd call The Shard a box

Or the Gherkin.

In any event, although this is a box, it is a beautiful box with the exoskeleton acting as nice ornamentation and something we don't have in Toronto.

Last edited:
You rave on and on about projects like King Charlotte but think this is dull?

O...kay.
I'm clearly in the minority, but fully agree with UD; this latest design is pedestrian at best for Foster... The Bow in Calgary, the Gherkin, his new tower in Madrid... Hell, even the shelved U2 tower in Dublin is far more cutting-edge and eternal than what this design has morphed into... Sorry about the dangling participle, BTW...

Foster is perhaps my favourite architect for highrises and I would agree with you. In fact I though the first design was rather subdued for a Foster, perhaps it was deliberately tempered for Toronto sensibilities. But this newer design looks like a watered down compromise of the the original which is I suppose what it is; it would probably be considered a run of the mill tower in Chicago and certainly Manhattan. For a building called "The One" at Toronto's most famous intersection one would expect something inspiring, not just by Toronto standards but for an international city which Toronto likes to consider itself. Height alone won't accomplish this especially with a 75 storey building across the street.

I'm clearly in the minority, but fully agree with UD; this latest design is pedestrian at best for Foster... The Bow in Calgary, the Gherkin, his new tower in Madrid... Hell, even the shelved U2 tower in Dublin is far more cutting-edge and eternal than what this design has morphed into... Sorry about the dangling participle, BTW...

See I agree with this, for Foster it is very conservative compared to his other projects, but I blame that on Toronto/the developer instead of him himself. But in a vacuum for Toronto overall it's very far down the list of new buildings one could call "dull".

Back