Today, no change on site.
9A7CBF37-6254-4FA7-AAC0-35013E037F79.jpeg

Hello Adam,
Happy New Year.
We have received your inquiry about construction at The One and wanted to share an update.
The site is now at grade and had phased permitting on the development. The phased permitting began with our demolition followed by shoring, excavation, and foundation works. The city has issued a stop work order now that we are at grade. As we apply for our above grade permits, the city will audit the work to date and ensure we satisfy the above grade permit requirements as a result of the construction progressing faster than the current permits. We will have the above grade permits on or before January 30 and will continue with the erection of the above grade works and tower.
Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us at (416) 519-6717.
Kind Regards,
The ONE Sales Team
The ONE | Mizrahi Developments
www.onebloorwest.com

So Sam.....why was the stop work order issued LONG before you hit grade?........ Why did you fail to deal with the stop work order which resulted in a non compliance being issued?......why would you start a project like this without a permit? Being that the building is a year behind schedule, why didn't you receive the permits during the last 2 1/2 years? Shall I go on.....

What facts did you provide? Just a whole lot of speculative notions as to how the Bazis company is poorly handling this construction according to your deep inside knowledge. You seem to have all of the questions and your own hyperbolic answers to them already.

Bazis??

Who are we to doubt someone who built big box stores for Walmart?

Hello Adam,
Happy New Year.
We have received your inquiry about construction at The One and wanted to share an update.
The site is now at grade and had phased permitting on the development. The phased permitting began with our demolition followed by shoring, excavation, and foundation works. The city has issued a stop work order now that we are at grade. As we apply for our above grade permits, the city will audit the work to date and ensure we satisfy the above grade permit requirements as a result of the construction progressing faster than the current permits. We will have the above grade permits on or before January 30 and will continue with the erection of the above grade works and tower.
Should you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us at (416) 519-6717.
Kind Regards,
The ONE Sales Team
The ONE | Mizrahi Developments
www.onebloorwest.com

Well, that's pure PR. They make it sound like this was expected. Instead, they were ordered to stop, so much that they dropped everything they were in the middle of.

I had no doubt that this would continue and it's good to have a more specific date for restarting but being ordered to stop isn't normal. I admire Mizrahi's ambition — the location, the height, the architect, the anchor retail tenant — but he's clearly learning the ropes as he goes. For everyone's sake, I wish him luck.

"Construction progressing faster than the current permits." is either poor management on the permit side or fantastic construction but it is most definitely fantastic PR work haha
Maybe it has something to do with Section 37 funds that they have to pay to the city as per their settlement agreement, typically this is paid when applying for the above grade permit.

While not strictly on topic, but related...

The city's permitting offices does not have enough staff to review the shear quantity of permit requests coming in. While this is mostly true, planning review staff use this backlog as leverage to push for more and more overtime (lots of it!!!), in order to get your permit review back-on-track (which is a misnomer). On two recent, but separate occasions, I had plans examiners for different disciplines request I call/email their manager to request overtime, in order to get things back on track. Even after this push and countless days of prodding, requesting, emailing etc., the permit review was still almost 2 years behind. The kicker, was that 2 out of 3 plans examiners were on the "Sunshine List" for over a decade (+$140K), meaning they were working a lot, right?! No, they were nearly unreachable, or gone for days at a time.

All that being said, it is usually a combination of owner and city who is responsible for the delays - ie: missing information, insufficient info, filed too late, lack of personnel at the city etc..This will be sorted soon enough..

Considering that most new condo builds are of shoddy quality (ie. plumbing), I'm not sure whether the Province's proposal to let developers self-regulate will worsen the situation or simply keep it at status quo.

Back