Does anyone know why they chose the supercolumn structure? I assume that building a typical concrete building at those heights would be a lot less flexible in terms of unit sizes/supporting wall locations on each floor. However, why supercolumns vs. a more typical concrete core+steel structure? Is it due to footprint/maximizing usable space? the specific location of the site and the way it attaches to bedrock? or some other reason altogether? I've always been curious; sorry if it has already been brought up.

Of note: Mizrahi is running a full page ad in today's Saturday Globe (section 1, OBC). They had an extensive campaign going in The Globe in late 2018/early 2019 - then it stopped. Of note in this new ad is a ground-level perspective photo of the construction cranes and in the copy "The complex work underground is now complete", and "CONSTRUCTION HAS COMMENCED WITH OVER 75% SOLD".

Of note: Mizrahi is running a full page ad in today's Saturday Globe (section 1, OBC). They had an extensive campaign going in The Globe in late 2018/early 2019 - then it stopped. Of note in this new ad is a ground-level perspective photo of the construction cranes and in the copy "The complex work underground is now complete", and "CONSTRUCTION HAS COMMENCED WITH OVER 75% SOLD".
Sounds like an act of desperation. Hopefully the architect has approved enough of the progress draws on the foundation work (not including the unfinished ramps)
to prevent liens from getting started. Sadly when a project goes as bad as this has, it usually remains bad right to the end.

Sounds like an act of desperation. Hopefully the architect has approved enough of the progress draws on the foundation work (not including the unfinished ramps)
to prevent liens from getting started. Sadly when a project goes as bad as this has, it usually remains bad right to the end.
Wow, it's amazing how you know so much about this project

I've lurked on here for years now, finally decided to make an account so hello all! ?

Lets say construction resumes on this project by the beginning of March and lets pretend everything runs smoothly from there, no more stop orders or serious delays. When could this tower realistically (best guess) be complete? When I say complete I mean generally complete aside from maybe some finishing touches/landscaping so residents can move in, even the penthouse.

I've lurked on here for years now, finally decided to make an account so hello all! ?

Lets say construction resumes on this project by the beginning of March and lets pretend everything runs smoothly from there, no more stop orders or serious delays. When could this tower realistically (best guess) be complete? When I say complete I mean generally complete aside from maybe some finishing touches/landscaping so residents can move in, even the penthouse.

Same here:) finally registered an account after seeing your post

Wild guess including Penthouse? 3-4 years. Will be easier to estimate when they actually start building though.

Does anyone know why they chose the supercolumn structure? I assume that building a typical concrete building at those heights would be a lot less flexible in terms of unit sizes/supporting wall locations on each floor. However, why supercolumns vs. a more typical concrete core+steel structure? Is it due to footprint/maximizing usable space? the specific location of the site and the way it attaches to bedrock? or some other reason altogether? I've always been curious; sorry if it has already been brought up.
My best guess is the same as yours: that supercolumns/exoskeleton allow for much more floor layout flexibility, especially large open spaces, which is critical for both leasing upper floor retail and selling large penthouses.

I am consistently shocked by the sheer amount of people here that throw around words like incompetence, desperation, and other extreme examples when they have little to no experience themselves. Just because you once owned a condo or worked on a condo or you just think highly of yourself, without any evidence of your wildly insulting claims you are just being dramatic for the sake of... not sure. Why do you do it?

Delays and challenges are very normal.in this industry. Anyone who has even renovated their kitchen knows construction sucks. This project is getting built. Be patient, oh I know it's tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am consistently shocked by the sheer amount of people here that throw around words like incompetence, desperation, and other extreme examples when they have little to no experience themselves. Just because you once owned a condo or worked on a condo or you just think highly of yourself, without any evidence of your wildly insulting claims you are just being dramatic for the sake of... not sure. Why do you do it?

Delays and challenges are very normal.in this industry. Anyone who has even renovated their kitchen knows construction sucks. This project is getting built. Be patient, oh I know it's tough.
And I'm shocked by the amount of people accepting these kind of delays as the norm. Yes, delays happen, but it's ok to also label a +6 weeks of paused work as incompetence. Why? Because it is. This has nothing to do with something that was unavoidable. This isn't bad weather. It's this type of acceptance that lets condo developers get away with whatever they want. I wish more people held them accountable.

Emphasis is mine. You are wrong. This is my job, all day every day. I would be fired if I had a job arrive at above grade permits without the ZONING completed let alone no NOAC.... ridiculous.

Emphasis is mine. You are wrong. This is my job, all day every day. I would be fired if I had a job arrive at above grade permits without the ZONING completed let alone no NOAC.... ridiculous.

Okay, so with your experience, when a project reaches this point was is the usual outcome? With all the signs that you have seen, do you see this project being completed, or failing, or just stalled?

Anyone check the site? I'm assuming workers are back to work since Mizrahi said the permit situation would be cleared up by today?

For those that haven't seen them, these are the orders and permits causing the stoppage in work;

1bpermit.jpg

1bpermit1.jpg

1bpermit2.jpg

Back