Wow they’re really working hard today another super column installed.
431DF149-BC9D-4672-B06D-ED669FDC3507.jpeg
26644A4C-13DC-4637-9CC3-310B0A94D97E.jpeg

Each of those columns weighs 40 tons! So how much is that? We'll here's a few examples;

Half a space shuttle. One quarter of a bungalow. 6 Tyrannosaurus Rex. 6 elephants. 20 cars. And 75 grizzly bears.

"Half a space shuttle" really hammers home how enormous these columns are. Bear in mind, this weight is without the concrete, which will further increase the total mass!

Where did you get the 40 tons figure? And are there other fun facts about the super columns available! And can I subscribe to weekly fun facts about this building? ;)

"Half a space shuttle" really hammers home how enormous these columns are. Bear in mind, this weight is without the concrete, which will further increase the total mass!

Where did you get the 40 tons figure? And are there other fun facts about the super columns available! And can I subscribe to weekly fun facts about this building? ;)
Space shuttles are much lighter than you'd imagine an object of that size would be. Lightweight ceramics and titanium where one would expect steel. If anything this hammers down how ridiculously light spacecraft are designed to be.
For example, an unmodified Toyota Tundra pickup truck was able to haul space shuttle Endeavour over a bridge in Los Angeles on its move to the California Science Centre.

Last edited:
Retail entrance
(early angled steel cladding mock-up from Foster archive)

View attachment 272330
Steve Jobs' Prayer:

Our founder in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done in Earth,
as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily wi-fi
And forgive us our data usage,
as we forgive our service providers.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from Android:
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever. Apple. 

Also have to remember that the Shuttle is mostly air. It's a cargo ship, which was used to 'shuttle' things into space. Lots of surface area covering the hold, but it's just a big cargo bay at the end of the day.
...so is a quarter of a bungalow, come to think of it. But one has look at this as an exercise in density vs. size. Because the denser an object is, the heavier it will be regardless of its size.

Bear in mind, this weight is without the concrete, which will further increase the total mass!
And 75 grizzlies I suspect, like with Humans, are mostly made of water I'm told.

A question for someone familiar with construction technology: how are the segments of the super-columns fastened to the segments underneath them?

I'd imagine, just pouring concrete around would not provide enough structural strength given the weight of the whole tower above.

Do they just run rebar through at the point of connection? Or are the column segments screwed together?

Baseplates are welded onto the rebar mats and columns below. Incoming steel columns have baseplates with matching bolt patterns, and the members are then bolted together.

Occasionally you'll see moment (welded) connections, but bolts through a baseplate is the norm

Back