How do you have the residential lobby on the 6th floor? Does that mean residents will need to take one elevator from the ground floor to the 6th floor and get on a different elevator to their unit? That sounds like the complete opposite of luxury to me!
Yes

How do you have the residential lobby on the 6th floor? Does that mean residents will need to take one elevator from the ground floor to the 6th floor and get on a different elevator to their unit? That sounds like the complete opposite of luxury to me!
Skylobbies are very common in luxury buildings. The St. Regis is another example. The residential lobby is on level 32

Skylobbies are very common in luxury buildings.

As well as in other types of mixed use buildings. The last time I was in LA (remember traveling?!), I stayed the gorgeous new downtown Intercontinental (which is office and hotel in the Wilshire Grand Center, and the tallest building west of the Mississippi), where the hotel sky lobby is on the 70th floor. It is extremely annoying, probably sufficiently so that I would never want to live in a condo that had one (there is accordingly a hilarious amount of impassioned commentary dedicated to the Intercon elevators on the travel review sites ). The hotel rooms are on floors 31 through 68, so to get to the street, I had to take the elevator from my room on 35 up to 70, then take a second set of elevators back down to ground.

The lobby itself, annoying as it is to navigate to and from, is amazing, though (and bears some structural hallmarks to what well see in some places in 1BW).

1611763541984.png

Skylobbies are very common in luxury buildings. The St. Regis is another example. The residential lobby is on level 32

Not even in luxury buildings anymore - Maple Leaf Square and 488 University have them too

As cladding goes, and based on the irl pictures we've seen, I suspect it's going to be somewhere in between the architectural drawing (silver/champagne) and the artistic renders (golden/brass). You can see in my drawing below the difference (these are both using the eyedropper from the architectural drawings and artistic renders, respectively. To me it looks like this is more on the "brass" side of things as it seems metallic (silver-ish) but has a lovely golden shine to it in more direct light.

So...in summary...I think we'll be somewhere in between these two below and will entirely depend on the lighting.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.12.45 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.07.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 11.07.00 AM.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 126
As well as in other types of mixed use buildings. The last time I was in LA (remember traveling?!), I stayed the gorgeous new downtown Intercontinental (which is office and hotel in the Wilshire Grand Center, and the tallest building west of the Mississippi), where the hotel sky lobby is on the 70th floor. It is extremely annoying, probably sufficiently so that I would never want to live in a condo that had one (there is accordingly a hilarious amount of impassioned commentary dedicated to the Intercon elevators on the travel review sites ). The hotel rooms are on floors 31 through 68, so to get to the street, I had to take the elevator from my room on 35 up to 70, then take a second set of elevators back down to ground.

The lobby itself, annoying as it is to navigate to and from, is amazing, though (and bears some structural hallmarks to what well see in some places in 1BW).

View attachment 296561
It's also the only skyscraper in Los Angeles not to have a flat roof (due to advances in fireproofing for the building as well as being very earthquake-resistant in an area where earthquakes are common).

The One should also be earthquake-resistant, given that medium-strength earthquakes have hit Toronto a few times in recorded history.

Yes - the story was referenced last week

The box is the actual structural element; the triangle is the profile of the exterior cladding - and there is a gap between the two. My sense is the exterior expression is purely for aesthetics - they could have gone with just straight up glazing.

I doubt anyone other than the hotel (the customer) would be in a position to care - and I doubt they'd care for what are basically concept images. Remember these are from the interior designer for their client, not someone in the general public wanting to buy a unit.

AoD

So... you're saying that there is a developer in Toronto that is concerned about aesthetics? Who the heck allowed this to happen? Heads will roll at city hall..

Where are all the venom-filled naysayers gleefully predicting the demise of this magnificent development?

Word to the wise. Don't wait until the topping off If you gotta eat crow, eat'm when they're young and tender.

I could be wrong but I think the majority, or at least myself were being somewhat sarcastic when suggesting the building would hit even more roadblocks.

The reality is it's been a unprecedented year, they were behind schedule, then had to stop construction because the pandemic, then again becasue of the stop work order.

So I least, interpreted it sarcastically when people said this would stop again after two stories.

This building was always going to get built and sill be a staple of the city when finished. I imagine nearly everyone on this forum both knew and knows that.

Weren’t there pictures of test panels that had been produced in upstate NY at some point? Those would show the colour.
Yes I was referring to those. You can see in the photos they flirt between a champagne/silver and a very light brass depending on the light. Once you put these 100m+ in the sky though lighting changes quite a bit from test panels on the ground so trying to put some educated guesses together.

Back