curious question: what are the yellow grids on the concrete that look like parking spaces for?
That's not concrete you're looking at. Those are the tops of forms onto which concrete will be poured. The yellow strips are simply the edges of where each piece of the material is butted up to the next piece.

I love the absolute girth of the structure that is being slowly built. It looks like at could carry twice the building it is about to carry

every suburban mall? yes I know they're being redeveloped with density, but there's the pedantic answer.

I believe the original post was implying parking lots that could be parks, as an alternative to one that might be shadowed here.

Clearly there are large parking lots in the inner burbs, but that's not a substitute for a green space downtown.

I posted the shadow studies for this proposal here:

and here:

Which may or may not happen. Or could happen, just not the way we where expecting...

...as for added green space news on a massive scale, interesting things are going on over here:

It's big, but I don''t know about "massive". The new park is planned to be 25 hectares, which is a lot more than is in the area now, but is for example less than a sixth the size of High Park, a third of Queen's Park, and about 50% bigger than Trinity-Bellwoods. It is hard to find and reserve space for parks, even in an empty wasteland!

It's big, but I don''t know about "massive". The new park is planned to be 25 hectares, which is a lot more than is in the area now, but is for example less than a sixth the size of High Park, a third of Queen's Park, and about 50% bigger than Trinity-Bellwoods. It is hard to find and reserve space for parks, even in an empty wasteland!
Wait, what? Queens Park is less than 5 hectares.

Lower Don Lands isn't high park, no.. but I don't think anyone is expecting to achieve another High Park within spitting distance of downtown. High Park is basically the size of the entire downtown!

Wait, what? Queens Park is less than 5 hectares.

Lower Don Lands isn't high park, no.. but I don't think anyone is expecting to achieve another High Park within spitting distance of downtown. High Park is basically the size of the entire downtown!
You're right. I just got the number from google, but that was the size of a land purchase, part of which became Queen's Park. But wikipedia says it's 20 hectares (including the park and the legislature/front lawn).

I was just responding to the suggestion that the City could find all this land around Yonge and Bloor that could be parks in the future. It's hard to reserve a lot of land even in currently empty places that are close to downtown.

this park stuff is starting to get off-topic.

In other news. are we nearing the removal of the second yellow crane as work on the podium concludes?

this park stuff is starting to get off-topic.

In other news. are we nearing the removal of the second yellow crane as work on the podium concludes?
The yellow crane is the crane that will be going all the way up if I recall correctly. The center crane should be expected to go as the podium nears completion.

Back