I thought the retail component was supposed to open about 2 years before the condos? This UT article from 2017 said the retail portion was targeted for a first quarter 2020 opening with residential occupancy in 2022. Things may have been delayed quite a bit (ahem), but did Mizrahi change his plan about opening the retail portion first? Surely a 2 year lag between retail and residential completion means that the tower will still be under construction when retail (or at least the flagship store) opens?
Way back then, the building was going to be constructed by a different method, pouring a ground slab then excavating out the garage levels, etc. beneath it. Things totally changed.

06B51391-3D64-4651-BE76-C67C6D86B256.jpeg

This is a much smaller, constricted site than where Aura went up, so I would be extremely surprised if they can afford to lose most of the base of the building as a staging area while more is constructed above…

…so I would stop worrying about which whichever dry cleaners or sandwich chain or clothing store or most-successful-on-a-per-square-foot-basis retailer in the world this is going to be for a while.

PS: finally saw this in person for the first time yesterday evening, and wow yes, the people who say the photos just don't convey how large this ground floor space is are totally correct. With the larger-than normal size of everything near ground level, our brains don't deal with the photos well. When you're there though, you really are confronted with how large everything here is and how teensy weensy you are in comparison.

Every time I drive past it, I stare in awe at the big steel beams and concrete pillars.

Does anybody know if the new height increase has been approved or not? Haven't heard anything about it recently.

Every time I drive past it, I stare in awe at the big steel beams and concrete pillars.

Does anybody know if the new height increase has been approved or not? Haven't heard anything about it recently.
When the height increase gets approved, there will be 603 posts here about it, so don't worry, you won't miss the news.

Never mind when it's completed, as it rises into the skyline the updates and activity on this thread will rival anything ever seen on here.
This is going to be visible from LOTS of places. I'm already scouting the best vantage points to capture this giant as it makes its presence in the skyline.

When they're prepping rebar for a hottub deep transfer slab that will eventually support an elevator core, it's not really that surprising.
So this floor is unique then and not indicative as to how long every floor will take? I sure hope the standard floors go much quicker because it seems like we're just spinning our tires at the moment lol.

So this floor is unique then and not indicative as to how long every floor will take? I sure hope the standard floors go much quicker because it seems like we're just spinning our tires at the moment lol.
Unless they're planning on building those transfer slabs all the way up...

...one way of looking at this I guess is the preparation for the race can be a long and complicated affair. Once it get's going though... :)

Back