Are we still going with the claim that the retail space is columnless, even when we can see those big honking columns right there behind the fancy glass?

Came across this recent Sam Mizrahi interview on the Real Estate with Howard Drukarsh show, dated July 9, 2021. No new info here, but the main discussions on The One begin at around the 6 minute mark.

That was a good listen albeit nothing new as you noted. Love his can do attitude - as he says there’s always going be naysayers (including a number is this thread earlier on when there doubts if the project was going to get off the ground) but it doesn’t matter. Looking forward to watching this rise and change the city for the better.

Are we still going with the claim that the retail space is columnless, even when we can see those big honking columns right there behind the fancy glass?

Yup, there are no columns interrupting the floor of the retail space. I don't know about you, that's pretty good definition given buildings don't float in the air - and what columns there are is pretty much at the periphery of the space.

AoD

It's an impressive space and incredible feat of engineering, but those are columns in the retail space.
We've known that forever, since the first renderings and plans came out… and yes, we might even have to duck when walking around the perimeter of the store in the future, but wowza, what a space that's going to be… even if you want to quibble with the description a little bit!

no chance it is 500 per square foot.... lol that would put a 1000 sqft fast food restraunt at 40k a month. rates are 90 - 130

You know you can just look this stuff up, right?

The annual prime asking rent on Bloor Street last year was about $430 per square foot (all figures Canadian).

This location is arguably outside of the core section of Bloor-Yorkville though. I remember hearing Great Gulf discussing how they had a hell of a time finding tenants for 1Bloor E because it wasn't deemed to be "on" the main Bloor Street strip.

I mean things change, and I argue if anything can change it it's this building, but Bloor-Yonge doesn't command as much as Bloor-Bay.
I believe we will see the core of Yorkville shift east towards Bloor-Yonge over the next 10 to 15 years.

1. The Apple Store can more or less be thought of as the new anchor tenant in this Yorkville "street mall", and it is a very nice anchor tenant indeed. Apple Stores have been known for driving huge increases in foot traffic, so I would expect the core of Yorkville to shift east accordingly. The One and the Apple Store have also set a new standard of excellence that retail in the area will have to live up to.
2. Directly to the north at 2 Bloor West is the Cumberland Square redevelopment, which includes a street mall, and should help shift extend Yorkville eastward. This development will likely be sold to another developer, so I am eager to see if they redesign the retail spaces to make it more competitive with The One (and I hope so -- the current design is 👎)
3. Sooner or later we're going to see The Bay at 2 Bloor East redeveloped. It's a huge property that is massively under-utilized at the moment. Whatever is built there is sure to have a major retail component, and will also extend Yorkville to the east
4. As a general observation: Judging by Yorkdale's rapid expansion and The Well, there appears to be a lot of demand for high-end retail in Toronto.
5. If Yorkville does extend east to Bloor-Yonge, it would only be natural for its expansion to continue north/south along Yonge Street as well. If this happens The One and the Apple Store would effectively become the centre of Yorkville at the junction of Bloor and Yonge.

Last edited:
With The One elevating the standard, I am cautiously optimistic that future developments in the Bloor/Yonge area will be of substantially higher quality. And we'll be working with a largely clean slate too, with this area of Downtown remaining relatively underdeveloped.

Back