So it's more of the hotel youse are wanting?

Have at the latest renderings, courtesy of The Design Agency: porte cochère, lobby lounge, room and pool. We've seen the restaurant and bar so far, and the lobby corroborates how glorious the public spaces will be. Gorgeous room as well - makes the years-long renovation results of the higher-end Park Hyatt look like even more of a lame duck.

Can't wait for this one to open.

khabah

View attachment 337712

Nevermind the window wall - that view is pure fiction (where is the antenna for FCP? How is it that RBC Centre (ex-RBC Dexia/Simcoe Place II) and old Sun Life peeking from what looks like those apartments on the waterfront - as viewed from where this project sits? Did it conveniently forgot that U of T grad slab to the south?

AoD

AFE2CAA0-19AE-4549-A45B-9674AF20C79F.jpeg
493ACB24-1553-439D-917C-D07C2178DB05.jpeg
124C8B97-41AB-4C28-A045-CC3C1D8042C8.jpeg

So it's more of the hotel youse are wanting?

Have at the latest renderings, courtesy of The Design Agency: porte cochère, lobby lounge, room and pool. We've seen the restaurant and bar so far, and the lobby corroborates how glorious the public spaces will be. Gorgeous room as well - makes the years-long renovation results of the higher-end Park Hyatt look like even more of a lame duck.

Can't wait for this one to open.

khabah

View attachment 337709
View attachment 337710
View attachment 337711
View attachment 337712

I really hope not, I remember a couple years back they previewed exterior materials and it looked like high quality glass.
View attachment 337741
Source: https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/10/exclusive-preview-one’s-exterior-finishes

PS: Is there an easy way to search for all the pictures posted in a thread that allows me to link to the original post?
The spandrel looks like it’s limited to the hotel section. Notice the lack of spandrel on the section over the first hanger:

B0195FE9-6274-4F3F-BFA3-58CD1D281D5F.jpeg

Interesting! Do you happen to know what the height limits would be for window wall? The first hangar section has double height 6m ceilings, but as we get to the hotel rooms and condo section, the height reduces to 3m per floor. Would that affect the glazing system being used?

I think the point was less about the floor heights and more about the elevation. The higher you go the more severe the wind loads get, and eventually you need something heavier-duty such as a curtain wall. That's why Aura transitions the way that it does.

Though it's also not impossible to use windowwall at higher elevations, it just needs to be engineered accordingly. They called it a hybrid at the time, but for all intents and purposes Ice is windowwall the whole way up (other than the mechanical). The engineering on it was botched horribly, but that windowwall hasn't failed yet.

Hybrid wall is best seen on the east and west facades of King Charlotte. It was going to be a big thing in North America (many architectural firms had started speccing it), but when the Trump Administration decided that crippling Chinese tariffs were the best thing ever, the major supplier backed out of the North American market entirely.

If by "major supplier" you mean Jangho they had many, many, many other reasons to get out of here, well before Trump showed up. They were getting hammered as far back as... 2011? 2012? I know by 2013 they were bleeding bad. I think they just finished out their initial batch of jobs and then bailed.

Hybrid wall is best seen on the east and west facades of King Charlotte. It was going to be a big thing in North America (many architectural firms had started speccing it), but when the Trump Administration decided that crippling Chinese tariffs were the best thing ever, the major supplier backed out of the North American market entirely.
I actually really like the King Charlotte glass and always thought it was curtain wall. I'm guessing hybrid-wall means the spandrel glass is also vision glass and is flush with the windows?

If by "major supplier" you mean Jangho they had many, many, many other reasons to get out of here, well before Trump showed up. They were getting hammered as far back as... 2011? 2012? I know by 2013 they were bleeding bad. I think they just finished out their initial batch of jobs and then bailed.
It was Jangho, yes. Interesting context there, thanks! I wasn't aware that things were going south much earlier than that. I'd heard that their troubles started around 2016.

It was Jangho, yes. Interesting context there, thanks! I wasn't aware that things were going south much earlier than that. I'd heard that their troubles started around 2016.

They had two disastrous towers in the Distillery (Clear Spirit and Gooderham), then they got killed at Ice, then I believe One Bloor East went (slightly) better for them, but by then they'd already given up on the market.

Lots of blame to go around, but they had piles of issues. Design, fabrication, shipping/logistics, installation, the whole thing. I think they tried shifting to a supply-only thing toward the end, but they got backcharged to oblivion.

But yeah, I think Clear Spirit was their first project, and that was off the rails by 2011. I think they bled quietly for awhile before the problems became widely known.

Back