And to think, someone here once said it would be better if it were a Canada Computers....

img6997_Canada_Computers_and_Electronics_Kingston.jpg
Omg imagine if they installed those massive glass panels just to cover them in window film 😱

Does Look like a typical apple store.

Except...it doesn't. Like, at all.

I know it's a bit taboo to actually talk about Apple and its stores in this thread, but given this is a major component of this building, I think we need to start talking about it. So please don't take this for another pro Apple post, or to start some big argument that takes away from talking about the actual building. I have no dog in this race.

We don't need a department store at this location, which is what we'd be getting if there was a Canada Computers type store at the ground floor. We're all talking about how much we love this space, but would it exist were it not for Apple? You really think they're putting up large panels of glass just so they can cover it up with a big blue banner? We're going to have a grand ground floor for the tallest building in the city and install this?

l.jpg

It's....breathtaking...

I understand more people can afford Canada Computers than Apple products. But more people don't care about Canada Computers. Say what you will about Apple, but they do draw people to their stores. And a large, flagship store at this location would be a draw. Honestly, it's the only store I can think of that fits the mold of what Mizrahi wants the One to be.

Except...it doesn't. Like, at all.

I know it's a bit taboo to actually talk about Apple and its stores in this thread, but given this is a major component of this building, I think we need to start talking about it. So please don't take this for another pro Apple post, or to start some big argument that takes away from talking about the actual building. I have no dog in this race.

We don't need a department store at this location, which is what we'd be getting if there was a Canada Computers type store at the ground floor. We're all talking about how much we love this space, but would it exist were it not for Apple? You really think they're putting up large panels of glass just so they can cover it up with a big blue banner? We're going to have a grand ground floor for the tallest building in the city and install this?

l.jpg

It's....breathtaking...

I understand more people can afford Canada Computers than Apple products. But more people don't care about Canada Computers. Say what you will about Apple, but they do draw people to their stores. And a large, flagship store at this location would be a draw. Honestly, it's the only store I can think of that fits the mold of what Mizrahi wants the One to be.
While I do think apple will definitely be a great tenant, I think saying they are the only ones who could do something incredible with the space is incorrect.

Even if it was a Canada Computers do you really think that they would do the same as most of their stores while paying such high rent and being in such a prominent location? No.....

Sticking with a Canadian theme, here are some I think would do great there. An OVO store, maybe a comeback of Blackberry?!?!?, Lulelemon but having only with their items from the new Olympic partnership.

Anyways all im saying is that I think there are many popular brands with Money who could do incredible things with the space as well.

Even if it was a Canada Computers do you really think that they would do the same as most of their stores while paying such high rent and being in such a prominent location?

Probably? I mean, I'd never been to a Nordstrom Rack prior to the one that opened across the street from the One, but it's just a store. They didn't make it nicer just because of the location. Maybe Canada Computers would actually do something with the location, but I doubt it. That wouldn't really be on brand.

You're right that Apple isn't the only brand that could do something special with this location. I believe Samsung's Eaton Centre location is quite nice, for example. But I think it's one of the few brands that is iconic when it comes to just the stores in themselves. Think of their glass cube location in New York's Fifth Avenue, or their MIchigan Avenue location. This is what makes me excited for the stores arrival, we don't really have any iconic stores in this city.

So, Sam Mizrahi has just hired a new lobbyist/consultant for the purpose of getting the requested height increase here.

From the Lobbyist Registry:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32374​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

1-11 Bloor Street West and 768-784 Yonge Street - Zoning By-law Amendment request for increased height.

So, Sam Mizrahi has just hired a new lobbyist/consultant for the purpose of getting the requested height increase here.

From the Lobbyist Registry:

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32374​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

1-11 Bloor Street West and 768-784 Yonge Street - Zoning By-law Amendment request for increased height.
This is certainly interesting. I'll abstain from speculating as to what it means

Back