I'm no expert and don't pretend to have any inside knowledge, but so far since I started following these projects, it seem once they get past the few floors, the pace definitely picks up. Look at 160 Front. It was moving at a turtles paces, and now that thing is flying up.

Maybe Anthonylipson can shed some light on this.
This building is different from any other building in the city. While that doesn't necessarily mean it won't speed up, using other buildings as a barometer simply isn't applicable.

Anthony had already previously mentioned how the repeating floor plan here is extremely complicated, which leads me to think if it speeds up, it won't be dramatically like 160 front for example

I don't think he'd be building it if it weren't profitable. He's replacing 3-storey buildings with 94 storeys of expensive condos. The units have been sold and Mizrahi got funding.
You may be right, but who knows. I just remember reading about how Mizrahi couldn't get financing from any of the big banks, so he's probably paying an eye-watering amount of interest to some B-lenders. Meanwhile construction is going slowly, there's lots of complex engineering and atypical overhead (just the crane rental must have cost a lot), finishes are high-end and very expensive. And the land that that 3-storey building sat on didn't come cheap either -- didn't Mizrahi pay something like $300m for the assembly?

Don't get me wrong, I hope that the project succeeds. It just seems extremely expensive, and Mizrahi seems like the kind of guy who wants to build a legacy at any cost.

I'm sure he's getting some sort of return here, but yea, probably not a great one. I'm not sure that's ever been his aim though.

The nature of development has always been that some projects make money head over heels and some don't, that's just the way it is. (Projects like King Toronto are plowing in the cash, while 159SW is probably losing money for Alterra, etc.).

Normally this isn't a big deal as most developers can handle a poorly performing project, but this project is such a leap up for Mizrahi from what he has otherwise been doing, it may be challenging.

In terms of speed, I don't think it should be much of a surprise that the current level is taking so long. It is where the elevator core for the tower originates. This is the most complex floor in the entire building.

I think it will speed up just a bit through the rest of the hotel section, and then slow again at the first mechanical section. Above that first mechanical section, that is when we will see it begin to speed up for real, maybe even to the 1 floor / week that seems pretty typical in Toronto. But at the current rate, I doubt we will reach the condo section of the building for the better part of a year.

As speculation only, I do wonder if the retail might be opening as soon as that first mechanical section above the hotel has been completed. I also speculate that the hotel could be ready for occupancy before many of the condos. This speculation is solely based upon the fact that the mechanical is spread throughout the building, which to me suggests that lower portions could be useable before the entire tower is complete.

The ONE will definitely be the project with most pages on this forum when finished
Possibly in terms of building threads, but I don't think anything is catching the already-1246 page Relief/Ontario Line thread any time soon. Especially given it's the one project that moves even slower than The One.

how many pages des Rob Ford's Toronto have in the politics section? When that thread was going strong it was posting 20+ pages of posts a day.

Edit: 7,625 pages. I doubt anything is getting close to that any time soon LOL

This will certainly pass all the others in the building thread. I have been following this recently for no good reason. It's already at #3 and we're still working on the podium.

I suspect however that Gehry Towers will surpass The One at some point as it is already top 6 or 5 and it's not even at groundbreaking yet.

As mentioned though, nothing is going to surpass some of the threads outside the buildings section

Some whatnot:

Toronto Model 09-30-21 The One.png

Back