maybe all they need to make a deal is a giant mirror on top of the tower to keep the sun on the front lawns of the NIMBYs
To be fair, it affects front yard trees, gardens, solar panels, heating and cooling bills, etc. All so a handful more rich people can buy at this particular address?

People brush off shadowing as a silly qualm but Church Street Public School had to astroturf their field because of the shadowing from next door 411 Church. Jesse Ketchum may suffer a similar fate.

The city fought to have the building cut to 25 storeys but developers won and got 38 of the 45 they applied for.

If you didn't get to speak at the consultation last night, you can still share your thoughts about the proposed height increase with the city by emailing David Driedger who is the contact for the consultation. That's what I did and he got back to me pretty quickly. You can find his email here by looking under past events.

People brush off shadowing as a silly qualm but Church Street Public School had to astroturf their field because of the shadowing from next door 411 Church. Jesse Ketchum may suffer a similar fate.

Jesse Ketchum already has an astroturf field.

edit: Google streetview

5jRMpNy.png

To be fair, it affects front yard trees, gardens, solar panels, heating and cooling bills, etc. All so a handful more rich people can buy at this particular address?

The city fought to have the building cut to 25 storeys but developers won and got 38 of the 45 they applied for.

Oh noes, a tall building downtown shadows a front porch of some out of touch suburbanite types who didn't notice that they don't live in a suburb anymore! We must cancel all developments in the city immediately and go back to being a medium sized city or better yet a small cozy town where everyone greets each other on their way to work.

Man you can't get absolutely nothing done with these people, it's a miracle that this building is still being built and not overrun by a crowd of boomer NIMBYs with torches and pitchforks. I mean units there cost about 2 million on average and about 8 floors of them will overshadow a couple 5 million $ houses in the area and an astroturf field in some park. Who's side am I supposed to pick again? Looks like 'extremely rich folk vs rich folk' to me, who cares.

Last edited:
Oh noes, a tall building downtown shadows a front porch of some out of touch suburbanite types who didn't notice that they don't live in a suburb anymore! We must cancel all developments in the city immediately and go back to being a medium sized city or better yet a small cozy town where everyone greets each other on their way to work.

Man you can't get absolutely nothing done with this people, it's a miracle that this building is still being built and not overrun by a crowd of boomer NIMBYs with torches and pitchforks. I mean units there cost about 2 million on average and about 8 floors of them will overshadow a couple 5 million $ houses in the area and an astroturf field in some park. Who's side am I supposed to pick again? Looks like 'extremely rich folk vs rich folk' to me, who cares.
There's a school there y'know.

There's a school there y'know.

AshJesse Ketchum is about 800 meters away from Yonge-Bloor intersection if you use a diagonal on a map. How shadowed will it be?

They put a homeless shelter near a school in my neighbourhood and nobody bats an eye, but there may be some shadow on a school yard at 5 PM because of some building downtown, let's stop this at once. Jeesh...

Last edited:
Yes, correct! You have noticed this example of double standards and hypocrisy from the counsellors that I was trying to bring up!

They fight the easy fight about some shadow cast somewhere and some big development but they keep silent when questionable decisions come from the government and their ward comes to their office in droves crying about the homeless. Same NIMBYs, different attitude. Although I must say that the magnitudes of these problems are also not the same, as I said, it's much easier to demonize developers and point fingers at them, easy fight, easy win.

It's 30 additional meters. If they get it great, taller building, some more units, we move up in the tallest buildings rankings. If it stays as is, we still have an awesome looking building that's a supertall and will be an icon regardless. At the end of the day this height increase is really neither here nor there and hardly makes a difference no matter which way it goes.

Its primary purpose is to be used for sports not to be admired from a distance. As someone who uses both types of sports surfaces, field turf is preferable to grass. It's a safer surface, more practical, usable for more months each year, and costs less to keep in good condition. Hopefully, Jesse Ketchum gets as lucky as Church Street Public School.

If you're not a fan of the shade a taller building will provide that's your prerogative but you're picking the wrong thing to make your case.

Last edited:
Some pics to get us back on track: Photos taken October 8th, 2021:

First, what may seem like a bad photo, but I opted to leave it as interesting mark for the future.

How much (or how little) of 'The One' is visible from the corner of Bloor and Church (north side)

1633727968854.png

I find it interesting how much more prominent Manulife is at this stage.

Now from Charles St., just east of Yonge:

1633728054900.png

On to Yonge, just north of Charles:

1633728092529.png

1633728106756.png

From the N/E corner of Yonge and Bloor:

1633728141677.png

1633728162263.png

Now Yonge just a bit north of Bloor:

1633728197922.png

From Balmuto:

1633728229142.png