Office buildings and mid-century hotels are different buildings than modern residential towers. It's not really an apt comparison.

Disagree. I quite love the insane aspect ratios we're getting in many of the new crop of Manhattan towers (even if there are other serious issues - social inequality, shoddy build quality, plutocratic vacancy, etc.).

I find the visual effect of these toothpick towers sticking out anemically from a base of far more muscular structures unsatisfying. It looked like a staccato of noise in the overall composition.

AoD

I find the visual effect of these toothpick towers sticking out anemically from a base of far more muscular structures unsatisfying. It looked like a staccato of noise in the overall composition.

AoD

Imo, the super slenders on 57th street have made Manhattan's skyline less aesthetically pleasing but more awe-inspiring at the same time. It's bittersweet.

AoD
I agree with this completely. Maybe if it was just one it would be fine but I cant stand the way they look on the skyline together especially from certain angles.

I'm also in the camp that really likes 432 Park though.

As someone else pointed out though, office towers and condominiums aren't really comparable. Look at even the new office buildings going up in the city, CIBC Square, 160 Front and even The Well office tower, are all extremely wide at least from some angles. I personally prefer the slender side of CIBC Square but it would look weird if it was that slim all the way the round vs the rectangular shape it has now.

I also really like the mix of wider and thinner towers we're starting to see throughout the city. Massey Tower, as well as harbourfront plaza and ice condos look great because they're among wider more beefy towers. The slenderness also makes them appear taller to the human eye which is something I always appreciate. If we just had skinnier towers like that though I don't think the skyline would look nearly as interesting. In the case of The One, the exterior design perfectly suits the dimensions of the building. Toronto will have a nice, tall and relatively slim tower, but it is nowhere close to what you see in New York. The closest we have to that in Toronto is either the 1200 bay proposal which is only slender from 2 sides or Scotia Plaza which only appears slender from certain angles thanks to an optical illusion.

I agree with this completely. Maybe if it was just one it would be fine but I cant stand the way they look on the skyline together especially from certain angles.

I'm also in the camp that really likes 432 Park though.

As someone else pointed out though, office towers and condominiums aren't really comparable. Look at even the new office buildings going up in the city, CIBC Square, 160 Front and even The Well office tower, are all extremely wide at least from some angles. I personally prefer the slender side of CIBC Square but it would look weird if it was that slim all the way the round vs the rectangular shape it has now.

I also really like the mix of wider and thinner towers we're starting to see throughout the city. Massey Tower, as well as harbourfront plaza and ice condos look great because they're among wider more beefy towers. The slenderness also makes them appear taller to the human eye which is something I always appreciate. If we just had skinnier towers like that though I don't think the skyline would look nearly as interesting. In the case of The One, the exterior design perfectly suits the dimensions of the building. Toronto will have a nice, tall and relatively slim tower, but it is nowhere close to what you see in New York. The closest we have to that in Toronto is either the 1200 bay proposal which is only slender from 2 sides or Scotia Plaza which only appears slender from certain angles thanks to an optical illusion.
One of the other major things to know is that the condo towers in the City of Toronto are now limited to 750Sqm max floor plate so there is only so much you can do with that in a tall building, whereas the commercial buildings require large open floorplates and aren't restricted in that sense.

We're making friends in high places. Photo by Erik Millette, Tower crane operator.

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 96
I'm really looking forward to the progress updates on this one. Which tower does everyone think will top 1000' first, Pinnacle or this one?

Last edited:
crazy that much weight ( forms weigh like 3000lbs each) can be hanging off the side of the building held in by some shots...
I wasn't aware they where that heavy, as I presumed (maybe poorly) they where made of aluminum and wood products for easier moving around. If they are made of heavier materials I guess that would start to stack up, no pun intended.

I wasn't aware they where that heavy, as I presumed (maybe poorly) they where made of aluminum and wood products for easier moving around. If they are made of heavier materials I guess that would start to stack up, no pun intended.
They need to be strong to hold the concrete in when it is wet.

People die or get super hurt all the time when the forms are pulled off and hanging by 1 bolt and fall on them

They need to be strong to hold the concrete in when it is wet.

People die or get super hurt all the time when the forms are pulled off and hanging by 1 bolt and fall on them
Fair enough! And thanks for confirming that. /bows

Back