That's a lot of structure and weight if solid walls and true proportions. Thanks Chester for digging up the engineering drawings, it provides some explanation of the massive reinforcement we're seeing in the podium.

Edit: I'm interested to see if they pour all the vertical elements at once as per the last floor. That might suggest other things at play such and structural rigidity and lateral load transfer. Never seen anything go up like this.
Absolutely for lateral loads and structural rigidity. State of the art for a tall skinny residential building. St. Regis in Chicago had a similar amount of concrete walls across the three masses for the same reason. And still required a blow-thru floor to minimize sway.

Very, very interesting to see/hear some of the engineering details. I'm more used to the erecting side than the math side, so it's always appreciated to learn more about the "why" vs the "how". If the shear walls are needed to deal with the lateral wind loads it's all starting to make sense. This thing is unlike anything we've seen in this city.

Today work ongoing.
E54D54D1-FF8C-4AA1-BBDA-A72844F4DB68.jpeg
F7961A59-C0A6-422A-A4B5-66D90E99866D.jpeg
81BCE4E2-44B3-4FF2-AF8B-D5C4BB82F22D.jpeg
C8C4BB0B-EE39-4581-922E-C7CD39B315EB.jpeg
ECAC97EB-DEDA-4808-99CA-9A7E3E5D182C.jpeg
66A59B7B-9FBC-4F2A-BB30-8E0CC20E34FA.jpeg
6D96F754-A573-4789-9B20-1B28A7F3DDAF.jpeg

Absolutely for lateral loads and structural rigidity. State of the art for a tall skinny residential building. St. Regis in Chicago had a similar amount of concrete walls across the three masses for the same reason. And still required a blow-thru floor to minimize sway.
Hi UpwithOlives, just to continue if I may with your thought process thinking there is a relatively static podium attached to a dynamic tower exposed to lateral loading. I'm thinking one would need to bolster up the structure at the bottom of the tower for several floors to dissipate concentrating forces at the podium to tower elevation. Thoughts?

Hi UpwithOlives, just to continue if I may with your thought process thinking there is a relatively static podium attached to a dynamic tower exposed to lateral loading. I'm thinking one would need to bolster up the structure at the bottom of the tower for several floors to dissipate concentrating forces at the podium to tower elevation. Thoughts?
Getting beyond me - I’m just an interested observer, not an engineer or architect. That being said - I believe that’s what we’ve seen in floors 3-6. I think of the 5th floor as the basement with the elevator pits, tied into all the steel columns in the fourth and third levels, which then carried down to ground level through the massive diagonal columns in the first floor space. That first floor also had a significant steel structure in the concrete floor between the super columns.

I’m surprised the developer didn’t secure the extra small buildings south, it would have saved a lot of time and money for construction, etc…

If you look at the last photo in Benito’s post #11029 above, I think they acquired the building now used as a construction office. If I remember correctly they tried to acquire the building used as a Rogers store but couldn’t get the owner to sell.https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...velopments-foster-partners.18167/post-1764875
Right that Roger store makes me wonder, even if the owner was asking for $10 million, it would make sense because it would make the site way less space constrained.

Right that Roger store makes me wonder, even if the owner was asking for $10 million, it would make sense because it would make the site way less space constrained.

Probably thinks it will be worth $20M to whomever is trying to build a parcel south of the One.

Probably thinks it will be worth $20M to whomever is trying to build a parcel south of the One.
Well if Mizrahi owns the next small building, another developer buying the remaining land doesn’t seem likely? The Rogers store is only worth something special if all the small buildings could be assembled into a big parcel.
And Mizrahi & co. can sit fat and happy there for decades because they own the strategic spoiler building, which the owners of the Rogers store should be aware of too.

Would be funny if Mizrahi gathered another parcel south of there and left the Rogers building there forever, just to spite them :)

Like the Tom Jones Steakhouse, it could forever be a stub, surrounded by giants.

Back