Edit/PS: Er...that's not that famed mezzanine thing, is it @PMT ? 🙀

I believe it's for the restaurant space on the 5th level (circled below), but I could be wrong...

1640958639273.png

This thread was started over a decade ago

Did the Egyptian pyramids take this long to build?

And we're at what? The fourth floor? Fifth? Since this building is finally above ground things will really speed up but can anyone concisely explain why this project has taken so long?
If only we had access to unlimited slave labour!

Forget about slaves, I wonder if ancient engineers could build more impressive structures than today's engineers if you gave them access to modern day materials and building techniques.

Do they have bigger imaginations and creativity?

Like if we're impressed 3,000 years later with what they were able to build with materials and techniques of that time, just think how much they could impress us today.

I wonder what they would build the pyramids out of if they could choose any of today's materials. Steel? Concrete? Carbon Fibre?

Forget about slaves, I wonder if ancient engineers could build more impressive structures than today's engineers if you gave them access to modern day materials and building techniques.

Do they have bigger imaginations and creativity?

Like if we're impressed 3,000 years later with what they were able to build with materials and techniques of that time, just think how much they could impress us today.

I wonder what they would build the pyramids out of if they could choose any of today's materials. Steel? Concrete? Carbon Fibre?
It's worth noting that almost all the greatest works of architecture are vanity projects. They still serve a purpose of course, from the pyramids, to the taj mahal, to the Eiffel Tower, but they were all also built as symbols.

Building large and stunning buildings isnt all that economical or practical, hence why by and large most of what we see built to day is incredibly mediocre to downright bad.

This is not meant to be a commentary on Toronto's building standards as much as it is point that truly beautiful, world renowned projects are few and far between for many reasons. Many of these projects also had large state backings to make them viable.

What point am I really trying to make? I'm not sure tbh 😂

It's worth noting that almost all the greatest works of architecture are vanity projects. They still serve a purpose of course, from the pyramids, to the taj mahal, to the Eiffel Tower, but they were all also built as symbols.

Building large and stunning buildings isnt all that economical or practical, hence why by and large most of what we see built to day is incredibly mediocre to downright bad.

This is not meant to be a commentary on Toronto's building standards as much as it is point that truly beautiful, world renowned projects are few and far between for many reasons. Many of these projects also had large state backings to make them viable.

What point am I really trying to make? I'm not sure tbh 😂
I think you're trying to say that most buildings will of necessity be simple or even ugly. That's what makes an outstanding project eye catching.

We often forget that if every building is outstanding, none of them are outstanding.

You need a large, undifferentiated blob of rubbish to make the icons, well, iconic.

edit: @UpwithOlives iconic for Toronto :)

Last edited:
I don't think it's as straightforward as more floors = thicker member. Those 6-floor spans will be at a much steeper angle and that'll significantly reduce the load. A 45 degree brace is under a much higher load than a 75 degree brace, all other things being equal.

Back