I don’t understand what’s happening in the large central area with the plywood. It looks too large for elevator shafts. Is it an atrium for the hotel floors? I’m lost. I’d appreciate it if anyone could explain what it is. Thanks

I don’t understand what’s happening in the large central area with the plywood. It looks too large for elevator shafts. Is it an atrium for the hotel floors? I’m lost. I’d appreciate it if anyone could explain what it is. Thanks
Look back at the previous page. There is a schematic diagram of the floor plan. So yes that central section contains both the elevator shafts and hallways surrounding them leading to the hotel suites. They have not constructed the elevator shafts for the last two storeys. It has been speculated that it is due to the type of elevators that will be used. Some of them will be construction elevators that will be later converted to passenger ones. Or perhaps the intricate/special construction methods for this building required them to construct these elements in a particular sequence.

I really want to extend a heartfelt "thank you" to everyone who contributes to these threads. It occured to me that each building is getting the equivalent of a whole library of coffee table sized volumes, with thousands of razor sharp full colour photos and countless on-the-spot descriptions of everything that could possibly be noticed and commented on, all in up-to-the-minute real time. I can't even grasp the immensity of this archive, to say nothing of the value to history.

What if one could take the whole existing archival record of the planning and construction of, say, FCP, currently the tallest building in Canada, and put it "beside" this single thread for The One? Would the comparison, to the extent that comparison is possible, reveal anything of the magnitude of difference between the two eras in ability to accurately and thoroughly record the past? Sophomoric, philosophical thoughts on a Saturday morning.

To all contributors and mods, thank you for this priceless treasure.

I really want to extend a heartfelt "thank you" to everyone who contributes to these threads. It occured to me that each building is getting the equivalent of a whole library of coffee table sized volumes, with thousands of razor sharp full colour photos and countless on-the-spot descriptions of everything that could possibly be noticed and commented on, all in up-to-the-minute real time. I can't even grasp the immensity of this archive, to say nothing of the value to history.

What if one could take the whole existing archival record of the planning and construction of, say, FCP, currently the tallest building in Canada, and put it "beside" this single thread for The One? Would the comparison, to the extent that comparison is possible, reveal anything of the magnitude of difference between the two eras in ability to accurately and thoroughly record the past? Sophomoric, philosophical thoughts on a Saturday morning.

What a great thought and comment. And yes, this site makes a great archive for all the towers that are up, going up now, and that will go up in the future. 😃

As seen from the CN Tower:

Toronto Model 04-16-22 The One - CN.png

As seen from the penthouse of 720 Broadview:

Toronto Model 04-16-22 The One - 720 Broadview.png

Early on after starting UT we ran into a problem with the images. People hosted them on outside sites. If the outside site disappeared or if the member deactivated them we lost the photos. Being historically minded I thought we should host the photos to keep a permanent record. So we built a photo database. All the photos uploaded via the UT tools are hosted by us allowing for a permanent record of development over the years.

Early on after starting UT we ran into a problem with the images. People hosted them on outside sites. If the outside site disappeared or if the member deactivated them we lost the photos. Being historically minded I thought we should host the photos to keep a permanent record. So we built a photo database. All the photos uploaded via the UT tools are hosted by us allowing for a permanent record of development over the years.
It's like an elevator or refrigerator. People talk of it when it doesn't work.
Same with the "invisible" work of UT administrators.

THANK YOU for making UT work !

Wow the sheer amount of photos on here can't be cheap to host yourselves!? Is there a donation link that us members can toss a few bucks in every once in a while? I use Brave Browser which blocks all ads so I don't even know if your site is ad supported if it is I suggest you sign up with Brave Rewards for those of using Brave Browser we can tip some of our BAT back to support the site!

I’de like to add another question while we’re discussing structural methods. The floor plate notches in each of the corners don’t have any rebar protruding from their edges. I don’t understand how the notches will attach to the small slabs when they are poured. I know they will be braced on the outer edge by the angled I beams but I don’t understand how the inner edges of the small slabs will attach to the notched floor plate without rebar connecting the two.

I’de like to add another question while we’re discussing structural methods. The floor plate notches in each of the corners don’t have any rebar protruding from their edges. I don’t understand how the notches will attach to the small slabs when they are poured. I know they will be braced on the outer edge by the angled I beams but I don’t understand how the inner edges of the small slabs will attach to the notched floor plate without rebar connecting the two.
I think they do have “grooves” or conduits where rebar can be inserted into the poured slabs.

Back