Photos taken today, Friday. Just to clarify as some have commented since I posted (and for posterity), it was about -17c when I took these photos, and the wind was strong, pushing the temperature to about -25c, so those guys were feeling it out there. Latest "time-lapse" photo, with link for sequence Oct 2020-Feb 2023:

UTIMG_5118.jpg
UTIMG_5099.jpg
UTIMG_5103.jpg
UTIMG_5060.jpg
UTIMG_5067.jpg
UTIMG_5171.jpg

Last edited:
Photos taken today, Friday. Latest "time-lapse" photo, with link for sequence Oct 2020-Feb 2023:

View attachment 454066View attachment 454068View attachment 454067View attachment 454064View attachment 454069View attachment 454065

My hat is off to all those workers who still manage to carry on with their jobs in those miserable conditions like today’s.

The rip on the black covering over one of the columns has been torn off completely.
Contractors may have done that themselves to prevent it blowing onto passerby's below. Either way, it will most likely be replaced before the respective cladding is added...

...so we'll have to chill like the weathers been on that. /brrr >.<

Contractors may have done that themselves to prevent it blowing onto passerby's below. Either way, it will most likely be replaced before the respective cladding is added...

...so we'll have to chill like the weathers been on that. /brrr >.<

It’s just an early unboxing of the Apple Store

So many uninformed criticisms of city planning from armchair critics these days...

Quality of materials is quite literally out of the control of City Planning. The closest planning can get to "concerning themselves" over materials is essentially limited to site plan control, which is more in the realm of character and aesthetics, but not the materials themselves.

I honestly can't think of a city where the height of the buildings is what makes the city great. Sure, tall buildings can be awe-inspiring and incredible to look at, and yes, they can bring a certain sense of prestige to a city, but ultimately, it is the public and shared spaces that these buildings sit in that make a city great. The streets, parks, patios, plazas, pedestrian spaces... I could go on... these are all incredibly important and so often overlooked or undervalued; case in point - those arguing that the height of The One is more important that having access to sunlight.

A taller building may wow those who marvel at it, myself included, but in the end it only benefits those who own it and profit from it. Higher quality public spaces, on the other hand, have the potential to benefit everyone.

Yah, who needs higher density at the intersection of two major transit lines anyway?

@MatiasBessai and I toured The One last week. The first story resulting from the tour, is here.

Here are a couple of my pics from the tour:

IMG_6766.jpg
IMG_6770.jpg

EDIT: I have to say that the temporary atrium on the 14th floor (open until the elevator shafts extend higher and the next hallways are formed above, is really wild, and feels larger than it looks in this photo. You'll get a slightly better sense of that space in the article, where there's a short video (plus atmospheric echoing construction sounds!) if you also open the video in YouTube and go full screen.

Lots more to see in the article!

Last edited:

Back