the glass being used here appears to be much darker than depicted in the renderings... which is good. it will create more of a contrast with the CIBC tower across the street. the bronze tones in the renders looked too similar to my eyes.

Part 1 of 2 taken on February 8, 2023:

IMG_7219.jpeg
IMG_7220.jpeg
IMG_7221.jpeg
IMG_7222.jpeg
IMG_7223.jpeg
IMG_7224.jpeg
IMG_7225.jpeg
IMG_7226.jpeg
IMG_7227.jpeg

Wow, the shear mass of this building much more evident now with it gaining so much height and with the corner sections being completed.

Also, just also hit me that this tower crane is going to be the tallest ever in the city when they top out. Potentially 330 metres at the currently approved height or 360 metres if the height increase is allowed!

Photos taken today, Friday, including the latest "time-lapse" photo for my Flickr album showing the building's construction Oct 2020-Feb 2023.

UTIMG_5771.jpg
UTIMG_5712.jpg
UTIMG_5725.jpg
UTIMG_5678.jpg
UTIMG_5686.jpg

Photos taken today, Friday, including the latest "time-lapse" photo for my Flickr album showing the building's construction Oct 2020-Feb 2023.

View attachment 455505

I have a question, in the renders(1st image) the corners don't have these supporting columns(2nd image), are these continuing the whole way up?

1639534629-A027-kw9zio8lg3emthsfq97.jpeg
utimg_5712-jpg.455505

Last edited:
I have a question, in the renders(1st image) the corners don't have these supporting columns(2nd image), are these continuing the whole way up?

1639534629-A027-kw9zio8lg3emthsfq97.jpeg
utimg_5712-jpg.455505

Due to how the supports work, there is a floor with no corner columns every 5 (ish) floors. The floors just below the start of new V columns (sorry, I don't know the terminology) don't need vertical supports because theoretically, V holds up said floor/ceiling.

Not sure if that made any sense. Hopefully, someone who knows the lingo can fill in the details!

Due to how the supports work, there is a floor with no corner columns every 5 (ish) floors. The floors just below the start of new V columns (sorry, I don't know the terminology) don't need vertical supports because theoretically, V holds up said floor/ceiling.

Not sure if that made any sense. Hopefully, someone who knows the lingo can fill in the details!

Is it just me or does this seem like a weird choice?

I'm sure they provide stability & rigidity but...... I thought the whole point of the steel bracing was so the floors could be hung without the corners being obstructed?

Is it just me or does this seem like a weird choice?

I'm sure they provide stability & rigidity but...... I thought the whole point of the steel bracing was so the floors could be hung without the corners being obstructed?
The choice isn't whether or not to place a column in the corner -
It would have originated much farther back in the design process.
Once they chose the angle of the hangers and placement of the supercolumns, then physics took over.
The top slab of the "block" being hung is cantilevered out really far and needs support from below.

Compare to the North Tower at Bay Adelaide where the corner is column-free.
It's steel consutruction and a diagonal steel beam supports the corner from columns,
one of which is quite close to the corner

Maybe The One could have framed out each hanger corner with steel girders for support, but maybe that was too expensive?

PS - that column-free renderng really is misleading, because the column-free corner floor wouldn't have a hanger in the middle of the view, it would be next to the supercolumn.

Last edited:
The choice isn't whether or not to place a column in the corner -
It would have originated much farther back in the design process.
Once they chose the angle of the hangers and placement of the supercolumns, then physics took over.
The top slab of the "block" being hung is cantilevered out really far and needs support from below.

Compare to the North Tower at Bay Adelaide where the corner is column-free.
It's steel consutruction and a diagonal steel beam supports the corner from columns,
one of which is quite close to the corner

Maybe The One could have framed out each hanger corner with steel girders for support, but maybe that was too expensive?

PS - that column-free renderng really is misleading, because the column-free corner floor wouldn't have a hanger in the middle of the view, it would be next to the supercolumn.

I appreciate the physics but its seems like poor design choice from the start then. You're right about the steel it would prolly would have worked better, plus you could have made it slimer.

Also your point about them being "hung", surely if that the case then they dont support from below 😂

These use a similar trick the corners are hung from the sliver steels which carry the load into the structure, while the winter gardens are being hung by the red steels (no support from below). The last pic show what it looks like internally the red steel is basically non existent. Just seems much more elegant & would have worked here imo.

neo-bankside-london-united-kingdom-architect-rogers-stirk-harbour-CX3CNF.jpg

landscaping01.jpg

Apartments_Type-F-4_slide-2.jpg

Last edited:
Also your point about them being "hung", surely if that the case then they dont support from below 😂

It's the whole "box" of floors 4-6 storeys that is hung.
Within that "box", the corner column provides rigidity and supports the upper most floors of the "box" from below.

Using a pic from Urban Affair Jan 26, 2023, you can see the "Box" that is suspended from the hangers.
The corner column supports the corner of the upper floors of the box from below,
which in turn is supported by the hangers.

This is different from your example with the red stringers, which do support the corner from above.
It could be that the concrete floors on the corner are too heavy for a steel support system
(or Toronto's weather temperature fluctuates too much for a steel solution or wind loads high up need more rigidity).

dj0xQf4.png

Last edited:

Back