The balcony debate has been done to death in so many threads. Can we put this to rest already? Some of us love our balconies. Myself included. Others don't. End of line!

Well, and more importantly one isn't getting them here, unless they want to shell out 30M or so for the penthouse units.

AoD

My contribution for today 🙂

1825C72B-6E73-403E-BA7E-02690E6630BF.jpeg

8D3F3B99-6F54-4B0A-BAF1-1AEFD0AB50FA.jpeg

1178B207-7D40-4C39-BE1B-68F3AC7CF008.jpeg

E84EEBC6-A739-4E88-8A61-A821F55EF7E7.jpeg

The balcony debate has been done to death in so many threads. Can we put this to rest already? Some of us love our balconies. Myself included. Others don't. End of line!
Counterpoint: almost every debate on UT has been had a million times before. UT is basically twenty years of people arguing about spandrel. (And I love it!)

That being said, we *should* bring our focus back to photos of the cladding so people can argue if they are champagne coloured enough. Carry on!

Counterpoint: almost every debate on UT has been had a million times before. UT is basically twenty years of people arguing about spandrel. (And I love it!)

That being said, we *should* bring our focus back to photos of the cladding so people can argue if they are champagne coloured enough. Carry on!
When the light hits these panels at the right angle, it gives a great champagne colour. See the picture above. It does look a tad gray at other times, but I suppose that’s a compromise to keep it from looking a silly piss yellow colour most of the time. So, works for me!

“Squabblin’ ‘bout Spandrel”
A Time Honored UT Tradition ca 2000.

😉

It looks like the cladding on the hangers is purely decorative in that it’s not actually applied to the steel hanger. It looks like the cladding is attached to the glass.

Hardly just decorative like many glued on attempts at design details/whimsy ... echoes, references and celebrates the structural steel engineering of the hangers behind ... and looks a heck of a lot better than some flat opaque glass or aluminum exterior alternative to hiding the interior drywall boxes that will encase the hangers.

I'm not against exterior decoration, but it makes even more sense imo, when it expresses how the building was engineered/built.

The cladding is the most boring beige one could possibly get. But I suppose I should disclose my colour vision impairment.

The cladding is the most boring beige one could possibly get. But I suppose I should disclose my colour vision impairment.
No this brings up a really good point about colour perception. Everyone, impairment or not, sees slight variations when looking at the same colour. The way I was able to understand it was to think of colour being a subjective experience rather than an objective thing. I won't dive too deep into colour theory here but it's some crazy stuff.

My point is, some people may actually be seeing a more pink hue in the cladding, while others might not be picking up on any pink at all, regardless of lighting, just because our brains are different.

Photos taken today, Wednesday (April 12). Another big post, given the interest shown here in the cladding being installed. Thanks for the kind words about that last one, btw!

First up is a set of photos of the first complete vertical section of cladding, with the added bonus of the top diagonal section having its covering removed, the first time we've seen it outside of the mega columns. This was done today, as the covering was there when I dropped by earlier around 10:30 am.

The second set of photos is of one of the sections connecting to a mega column being installed. I talked to one of the workers who told me that once these sections are added, as far up as in the first set of photos, the following sets of windows and cladding will be installed behind a special scaffolding whose installation will be started in days. So we'll see completed windows and cladding emerge as the scaffolding rises over time. This black seven-storey scaffolding will dramatically alter the look of the tower... those new blue mounts are for that rigging.

UTIMG_0907.jpg
UTIMG_0967.jpg
UTIMG_1126.jpg
UTIMG_0901.jpg
UTIMG_0923.jpg
UTIMG_1016.jpg
UTIMG_1025.jpg
UTIMG_1044.jpg
UTIMG_1067.jpg
UTIMG_1073.jpg
UTIMG_1092.jpg
UTIMG_1114-2.jpg

A couple tidbits about this development.

1) There was a report before TEYCC yesterday appealing staff denial of a noise exemption permit.

For clarity. Mizrahi was seeking the ability to do extended hours work outside normal permitted hours. Staff denied this for a number of reasons, not least of which is several noise complaints already on file over the last few months.

Mizrahi appealed that denial, which then goes to TEYCC.

I'm unclear on the disposition, which reads as 'Amended', but I don't see the amendment in the docs, maybe I'm just missing it.

2) Perhaps on the above, or perhaps on the appealed matter of building height, or the matter of road occupancy on Balmuto...... There has a been extensive communication between the proponent here and the Councillor's office in the last while (per the Lobbyist Registry)

Back