I don't think there is cultural value of the Stollery store and the building doesn't warrant heritage status beyond a knee jerk, "we totally destroyed all of our good old buildings in the sixties and seventies (BOard of Trade Bldg and Original Tor Star Bldg) so now we're afraid of losing anything second rate."
You nailed it. That line of thinking supports the majority of current hand wringing in this town over the loss of perceived heritage, where "heritage" is really just a trumped up euphemism for "old." It's just over compensation for past transgressions. Soon we'll be at the point where you can't take down a hot dog stand if it's been there for more than six weeks because someone will argue that it's "heritage."

You nailed it. That line of thinking supports the majority of PAcurrent hand wringing in this town over the loss of perceived heritage, where "heritage" is really just a trumped up euphemism for "old." It's JUST over compensation for past transgressions.
(capitalization added as I can't seem to bold from my tablet)

I can't help but feel there is a slight tendency in some posts, advertent or not, to not fully incorporate into the analysis the fact that people do not have great confidence in the City's method of determining what should be preserved. It is not "JUST compensation for past transgressions" that makes it hard for people to feel unsure. I will suggest again that it is quite likely partly the fact that the process is flawed that they may feel it is better to err slightly on the side of caution. At least until our delegates show more convincingly they are wisely administering a sound process.

In the meantime, admonishing well intentioned people, discussing matters in good faith, for not feeling assuaged that a broken process will adequately address community concerns, seems like it's neither the quickest nor most harmonious route to the best outcome.

You nailed it. That line of thinking supports the majority of current hand wringing in this town over the loss of perceived heritage, where "heritage" is really just a trumped up euphemism for "old." It's just over compensation for past transgressions. Soon we'll be at the point where you can't take down a hot dog stand if it's been there for more than six weeks because someone will argue that it's "heritage."

Polarization makes me cry puppy tears, so rarely is any issue black and white. Though I understand that perspective and moderation are in short supply in internet forums I do hold to a belief that a little case by case context will help us negotiate the two very important issues that are heritage and development. In the meantime we can leave Adma and Mississauga Slim to fight it out to the death in the corner because they are fighting on behalf of their own demons and not the better good of the city.

I disagree with 'fresh cut grass' as well. The carvings , although not enormous, had a distinct art deco design. Toronto does not have a large amount of deco that has survived. At the very least the carvings should have been donated or placed somewhere.I'm certain someone would have been interested in the carvings. They DO have a value and were NOT junk. I never thought the Stollery building was grand but I've always admired the carvings over the years and will miss them.

They will make a valuable contribution to Tommy Thompson Park.

Its interesting that the family has no interest in moving the Stollery Stone to the Stollery Park. Perhaps because they too realize the stones and the building are of little to no historical importance...

To the "save the stone", as has been recommended assumes two things:
1) The stone is of significant architectural merit
2) the stone (and the store) represents significant historical or cultural significance.

Neither pass muster.

The answer here is to build a shrine on the site to ye olde stollerystone and have pilgrims come from all corners the earth to worship by kissing it and walking around it seven times

The answer here is to build a shrine on the site to ye olde stollerystone and have pilgrims come from all corners the earth to worship by kissing it and walking around it seven times

If we charge we should offer discounts for people who can prove they are wearing a suit purchased at the store.

I am interested to know if there will be "seasons Pass" one can purchase at a discounted rate? I am happy to put down a deposit for first dibs on tickets.

Our own Campo de Santiago connecting all mediocre ' heritage' sites (re: nostalgia).

In ancient times
hundreds of years before the dawn of history
Lived a strange race of people, the Druids
No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains hewn into the living rock of STOLLERY STONE

STOLLERY STONE, where the demons dwell
Where the banshees live and they do live well
STOLLERY STONE where a man is a man
And the children dance to the pipes of pan

STOLLERY STONE, 'tis a magic place
Where the moon doth rise with a dragon's face
STOLLERY STONE where the virgins lie
And the prayer of devils fill the midnight sky

And you my love, won't you take my hand?
We'll go back in time to that mystic land
Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow
I will take you there, I will show you how

And oh, how they danced
The little children of STOLLERY STONE
Beneath the haunted moon for fear
That day break might come too soon

And where are they now
The little people of STOLLERY STONE
And what would they say to us
If they were here tonight

Last edited:
In ancient times
hundreds of years before the dawn of history
Lived a strange race of people, the Druids
No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains hewn into the living rock of STOLLERY STONE

STOLLERY STONE, where the demons dwell
Where the banshees live and they do live well
STOLLERY STONE where a man is a man
And the children dance to the pipes of pan

STOLLERY STONE, 'tis a magic place
Where the moon doth rise with a dragon's face
STOLLERY STONE where the virgins lie
And the prayer of devils fill the midnight sky

And you my love, won't you take my hand?
We'll go back in time to that mystic land
Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow
I will take you there, I will show you how

And oh, how they danced
The little children of STOLLERY STONE
Beneath the haunted moon for fear
That day break might come too soon

And where are they now
The little people of STOLLERY STONE
And what would they say to us
If they were here tonight

lol
I think your calling may be in writing urban folk songs

First time I genuinely laughed out loud on this site, bravo freshcutgrass. I'll leave an offering at the Stone for you and ask it to give you a bountiful harvest.

Back