Looks like this will block the views of the Four Seasons, looking north.

So does that mean they would pay $44 million, but then build a massive parking structure and hand it over to TPA when it's all done? Or does that mean they would pay $76 million upfront and TPA still gets a $32 million garage (valuing the whole thing at $108 million)? Either way.. wow.

Here is a bit of info

Toronto Parking Authority site in Yorkville sells for $76 million More....http://www.thestar.com/news/article...hority-site-in-yorkville-sells-for-76-million

Under a deal that goes to city council for approval March 5, Minto will pay $44 million in cash and build 800 spaces of underground Green P parking worth $32 million along with two condo towers on a key site in Yorkville.

The city-owned Toronto Parking Authority received 10 offers for the site, which were shortlisted to three before Minto was chosen.

The existing parking garage will continue in operation until construction starts, said parking authority president Gwyn Thomas.

And the developer will compensate the authority for lost parking revenues during the 30-month construction period before the new underground public parking opens. There will also be 400 spaces for condo residents.

“I think it’s a very good deal, very solid,†Thomas said.

As the owner of the parking authority, the city will end up with the cash from the land sale, and there’s no shortage of worth projects to fund, Milczyn said.

I'm having difficulty meshing the Cumberland Yorkville Parking Garage (2 towers), Cumberland Terrace (2 towers) and rumoured Holt Renfrew redevelopment (1-2 towers or a supertall) in my mind. As these projects go through the conceptual stage would the respective developers communicate with one another over design and massing issues or basically have a free-for-all leaving the city planners to pull it together.

I think there is an opportunity to create something special here since none of the individual projects have advanced too far.

37 Yorkville Ave. (47s + 58s)

37 YORKVILLE AVE
OPA / Rezoning 12 191650 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Jun 12, 2012 --- --- --- ---
To construct a mixed use development comprised of 2 towers having a height of 36 and 47 storey's on top of an 11 storey podium. Retail uses proposed at the 1st and 2nd level and 7 levels of above grade TPA parking. 3 levels of underground parking is proposed below grade for the residential component

With an 83 storey (275m) proposal and 75 storey (250m) building being built around the corner, its funny how no one cares about a 58 or 47 storey structure in the hood anymore....i say bring a supertall into the village:cool:

I was just thinking the same thing today. It would be great to see a mockup (if that's even possible yet) to see how they would all fit together. That's a hell of a lot of towers. I also heard from a guy at the TTC that they're looking at redeveloping the northeast corner of Yonge and Bloor and expanding the subway station. The idea of ripping down the existing tower there and putting up one twice as tall was also mentioned, but I have no idea if that's actually on the table. I think the whole thing is just very early stages at this point.

The loss of one of Toronto's great parking lots. When it comes to parking lot architecture, this was one of the best. I wonder if we can preserve it and move it to another part of the city for all to enjoy. Just imagining the people that have parked there brings tears to my eyes.

BMyers:

I thought the one down the street at Yonge/Charles, or the lot at Kensington/St. Andrew is integrated into the community a lot better.

AoD

Back